Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: My Smartdrive MX2

Thanks for the replies.

Another week, but not much smartdrive use.

At the mall quite often I can't get it to start at all, and when it does start it quickly shuts off with stuttering false starts. There appears to be locations where this happens more than others so I imagine there's electromagnetic interference hotspots. There are so many shopfront security systems, ATMs, escalators etc etc etc that it's impossible to isolate any pattern as to which element is having most effect.

At the park good going across grass when I got it started but couldn't start it readily about 40% of the time. Long push on road from picnic area to toilets made easy with the SD.

When you are pushing to get the Smart Drive motor to start are you doing a lot of small, quick pushes? If so, do one long push, let it start then once its going push again. I was having a lot of trouble getting mine to start but Max Mobility tech support suggested I change the way I push to give the motor a chance to engage and it did make a difference along with switching how the clamp was positioned helped with the traction. Doesn't always work with one long fluid push but the motor definitely started and worked correctly more often.

I have tried to keep to long smooth pushes but there isn't a pattern as at times a very slight push will start the motor. Often the motor starts and quickly goes through a series of stops/starts before giving up instead of keeping engaged. Other times it goes through a series of speed changes to top speed with no extra impetus.

Location does appear to be relevant - in the open air it behaves as expected, indoors especially in 'electric' spaces it's erratic.

Quote Originally Posted by josieand1 View Post
    When you are pushing to get the Smart Drive motor to start are you doing a lot of small, quick pushes? If so, do one long push, let it start then once its going push again. I was having a lot of trouble getting mine to start but Max Mobility tech support suggested I change the way I push to give the motor a chance to engage and it did make a difference along with switching how the clamp was positioned helped with the traction. Doesn't always work with one long fluid push but the motor definitely started and worked correctly more often.
    I am very interested in this advice since I have so much trouble getting the motor to engage.

Could you tell me what they said about positioning the clamp? I am having traction problems as well and the drive wheel feels bumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I am very interested in this advice since I have so much trouble getting the motor to engage.

Could you tell me what they said about positioning the clamp? I am having traction problems as well and the drive wheel feels bumpy.
    I have a Quickie GP (rigid) and the bar the Smart Drive clamp was attached to was too low. I talked to Max Mobility Tech support (Alex) and he said in order to get the best traction and smoothest ride the clamp should be attached to a bar that is higher off the ground. Since the bar above was too high, he told me to invert/flip the clamp on the lower bar and use the 26" setting. Essentially, the Smart Drive went from being attached under the bar to being attached above the bar. Alex emailed me pictures of how the inverted clamp should be so the Smart Drive had more of an angle.

If you want to PM me an email address, I can forward the email from Alex (Max Mobility).

josiean1 This morning while out for groceries I used your advice on the push, wow. It's like a different world. Suddenly my SmartDrive works like it used to. One long push and let go. It engages almost perfectly. 9 out of 10. Thanks so much. Really looking forward to having easier now. I still do have the rumble at the drive wheel but I think it's a mounting thing. Alex sent me a different bracket I haven't had the chance to install yet. I will. I will also PM you so you can send me that email. I am learning that with the SD just a little difference makes a big difference. It was a good trip out this morning and, inside the grocery. I used to have trouble in the aisles but I gave a long gentle push and the motor engaged at a low speed. Wanted a little more speed, another long push and I was going. It's great :-)

Trying to put 2 and 2 together, I realise that the last time and also yesterday in the mall that the battery indicator behaved oddly.

In the time at the park yesterday there were 4 lights - full battery. When I started at the mall an hour later there were 3 lights. When I was having trouble in the electric zone I checked and saw that there was only one light and assumed a low battery could be contributing, and now recall that there was only one light the previous time.

Shortly after that, and operating properly, I looked and saw that there were three lights again.

How much will the new SD retail for? Also, can the SD be used without the wristband and instead use the buttons that attach to the frame. Is the new SD waterproof, as I read the old unit had some problems when wet.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Hi all,
    Are you happy with the SD MX2? My son is 14 and has been using a Quickie 2 lite manual chair for 3 years.On the threshold of high school, he is the perfect candidate for a power assist. We are considering the MX2 for use in school so he can be independent going up ramps and getting around the campus faster and with little or no help. When we tested the MX2 attached to his current wheelchair, the power supply cut off as he was about to go up a ramp. http://youtu.be/i3wLeynTNik He had to slide back down and wheel back up with greater force in order for the motor to kick in.
    Second instance - while he was going up an incline the power cut off as soon as he placed the hand with the wristband up on his lap. We are very concerned about the power cut off mid way up an incline. Would appreciate any inputs on
    1. Is there a way to prevent this?
    2. What can he do if it happens all of a sudden as he is on his own in the school environment with children running about and no one to specifically help him at that stage.
    3. Power cut off whn the wristband accidentally taps the wheel rim - any suggestions to avoid this.
    4. Will his cell phone in the pouch below his chair interfere? Will his laptop that he carries around on his lap or tucked in the side interfere?
    5. How to avoid sudden acceleration? He is smart and intuitive with the functioning and use of a manual wheelchair...so any tips would help.
    Do you feel this is the right power assist for him? As I drive a Volvo xc60, I feel this is a good option to complement his folding lightweight wheelchair that he is so comfortable using for the past 3 years. Hence e-motion and such add ons have been rejected in our decision making due to weight and ease of transportation considerations.

Any inputs/suggestions from all of you would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by brighteye; 08-03-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added video hyperlink