Thread: How often should I replace a J3 Cushion

Question How often should I replace a J3 Cushion

I have had mine for 6 years and would be tempted to replace the Gel pad although nothing seems wrong with it - however the pad is the same price as a new Cushion

Is this the type with the white gel in a bladder? Ask me how I know the gel is white. Trust me, you want to replace the bladder before it breaks, but the one I got came with a used chair so I have no idea how old and abused it was.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Is this the type with the white gel in a bladder? Ask me how I know the gel is white. Trust me, you want to replace the bladder before it breaks, but the one I got came with a used chair so I have no idea how old and abused it was.
    LOL, I was given a Jay years ago to demo, it was a "demo" cushion and have no idea what the mileage was. I was working and running from meeting to meeting transferring in and out of car... it was a hot Virginia day, may have been a factor, but, after a while had to figure out where strange white goo was coming from... think you know how the story ends nonoise...

The foam base never really breaks down. That pretty much lasts indefinitely sparing any visual deterioration of the foam or mechanical abrasion.

I would just buy a new Flo-Lite pad every five years just to be on the safe side. Assuming there is no leak I still was not able to get an answer out of the company whether the gel loses any of its pressure dispersion mechanical properties over time. The gel pad is not cheap, but if you're happy with the cushion and your skin has done well on it you might as well continue with it.

If you have the insurance coverage and access to skilled seating services may wish to get a pressure mapping done on your present Jay just to make sure it is doing the job it is supposed to do.

When you order the replacement pad be sure to get the right one that corresponds to the base. If the label is worn out, as they usually are, check the bottom of the base for that number you can order the corresponding pad. But if you are going to order a new pad it may be a good time to evaluate to make sure you have the correct width and depth and perhaps increase or decrease either one or both. If any changes made to these then you will need a whole new cushion. Don't forget you can get the overfill option as well as segmented chamber option which prevents migration of the gel for those that are sacral sitters.

Even within bases that have the same overall dimensions there are choices to be made in terms of the size of the well, the dish where your bony prominences reside. For example, within a 17 x 17 cushion, you can still have different well sizes depending upon your particular anatomy.

Selecting a Jay seems straightforward but there are a lot of options.

+1.
    I have a Jay 2 and ? Guys, I've the same white jelly inside too !
    Mine is 7 years old and seems still in good shape. I've bought two used on eBay, I was using them for spare and they both finished leaking at the same spot (on the front, between the legs). But there was no difference in gel consistance before they start to leak.
    IMHO it works like a tire tube, there's no wear, all is OK before it leaks.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Where and How do you buy a flo-lite pad without buying a new cushion? When I tried I was quoted the same price for the pad as for the cushoin

any reputable eqpt/dme supplier should be able to order you the flo lite w/o the cushion

just google it and make some phone calls

When I google the pad coats about $240 not significantly different from the entire cushion

I've just received the one I've bought on eBay.
    It looks like a brand new one, or with a very, very limited use. You can't see any trace of wear.
    I paid 110$ for it, and 40$ for shipping and taxes. I think it's a good deal.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.