Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have two questions...

I have two questions...

First question, those of you with a SP what do you use to clean around the catheter and stoma area? I have a slight rash and a little pus around the entrance which I believe is the result of a bladder infection. I sent a sample in yesterday and I am waiting the results.

Second question, for those of you with a colostomy bag how often do you clean out your bottom half and what do you use? Digital stimulation, suppository, other ways?

Thanks, Chris
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    First question, those of you with a SP what do you use to clean around the catheter and stoma area? I have a slight rash and a little pus around the entrance which I believe is the result of a bladder infection. I sent a sample in yesterday and I am waiting the results. I don't have any allergies to iodine and some days I use Povidone/Betadine swabs to clean the stoma area, rinse with warm water and dry. Other days, I moisten a cotton swab or cosmetic sponge with HydroClense and clean around the stoma. The suprapubic has been in place for over 5 years and I haven't had any open sores or infection of the stoma area.

Second question, for those of you with a colostomy bag how often do you clean out your bottom half and what do you use? Digital stimulation, suppository, other ways?

Thanks, Chris
    Sorry, I can't help with your second question. No experience with colostomy.

All the best,
    GJ

First question, those of you with a SP what do you use to clean around the catheter and stoma area? I have a slight rash and a little pus around the entrance which I believe is the result of a bladder infection. I sent a sample in yesterday and I am waiting the results.

Thanks, Chris
    We got our colostomy within months of each other. And I did try the clean out several times about a year after I got it and found nothing there. So i never went back. No need.

But I have a question for you. Have you gotten a colonoscopy yet with the colostomy? My pcp is telling me I need to get one. But I am not sure how tough the clean out will be.

Thanks, Chris
    I use a wash cloth with cold water and Dove free soap to wash hubby's stoma daily. I wash the stoma and wipe down the catheter (gently of course), rinse, and dry then apply a mix of antibiotic and cortisone ointment every morning, and dress it with a 2x2. We take the dressing off before bed at night. He drinks tons of water and - 25 years and counting - very rarely has bladder infections.

I HAD a colostomy. All I can say is I sure am HAPPY they screwed up with placement and mounting location of bag. Was pretty much right over hip bone. All that thing did was LEAK and LEAK and LEAK. I was so pissed off I wanted to throw the damn thing at the doctors while it was full. BOTTOM LINE, my final operation was REVERSE of that. Could not be happier of result of that. I should have never had one to being with. I had tons of abdominal issues.

suprapubic question - rash is it bright red? it could be fungal in nature if there is moisture commonly in the area. A cream or powder like miconazole could help

colostomy - if you talk to an ostomy nurse he/she can show you appliance adaptors to perform an ostomy flush if you need to clean out the lower half or even the upper half. Commonly used if need like an enema prior to surgery.

pbr

Thank you all for the feedback this site has been a tremendous help in keeping me healthy.

Inthemiddle, you mentioned dove free soap where can one pick that up? You also mentioned using a mix of antibiotic and cortisone, what kind of antibiotic is it Dr. Prescribed?

SCI-Nurse, there isn't a whole lot of rash it's mostly pus and not a whole lot of it either. But enough to make me concerned plus im a worrywart anyway!

Lastly, no I haven't had a colonoscopy since having my colostomy done. I'm turning 50 and August so I should probably inquire about doing another one. I also need to have one done where they scoped your bladder. I haven't had that that procedure done since my SP was put in two years ago.

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July :-)
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Cowboys Place - are you asking how to manage your Hartman's Pouch? - this is the dead-end pouch of your rectum which connects to your anus and is about 7 to 10 inches long?

If that is what you are asking, I can tell you how I manage my Hartmann's Pouch- periodically, say evert three weeks, I need to rinse it out since it continues to make mucous which accumulates there. I use tap water from the shower in an enema bag and flush about half a liter of plain water into it which removes the mucous until it builds up again.

I have in the past attributed mucous build up with lower extremity neuropathic pain and have no clue where it is coming from. I know that irrigating the mucous out of the Harrtmann/s pouch sometimes makes the pain resolve but don't have scientific proof. I hope this helps if this is what you are asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    But I have a question for you. Have you gotten a colonoscopy yet with the colostomy? My pcp is telling me I need to get one. But I am not sure how tough the clean out will be.
    I found clean out to be pretty easy by using an irrigation sleeve. I followed some of the clean out preps recommended here on CC Board search, going to liquid diet few days in advance. Hung around home the day before when I needed to take the go litely type draino with sleeve on, emptied as needed and was running clear by afternoon before. Had an early morning appt. for procedure so just snapped a regular bag on morning of. Colorectal surgeon ran the scope right through the flange opening and could just snap another bag on for the ride home. Went very well.

I had a colonoscopy done before ostomy procedure and the prep was a lot more work. I felt liquid diet was big help on second go round too, I had not done that on first colonoscopy.

Good luck, should go fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I found clean out to be pretty easy by using an irrigation sleeve. I followed some of the clean out preps recommended here on CC Board search, going to liquid diet few days in advance. Hung around home the day before when I needed to take the go litely type draino with sleeve on, emptied as needed and was running clear by afternoon before. Had an early morning appt. for procedure so just snapped a regular bag on morning of. Colorectal surgeon ran the scope right through the flange opening and could just snap another bag on for the ride home. Went very well.

I had a colonoscopy done before ostomy procedure and the prep was a lot more work. I felt liquid diet was big help on second go round too, I had not done that on first colonoscopy.

Good luck, should go fine.

Thank you very much for your reply. Makes me feel a lot better in moving forward with it.