Thread: pain in left hand

pain in left hand

Since a few days i have pain in my left hand during certain transfers (out of my bed in the chair and from my chair to the couch) during all other movements its all good like opening a water bottle and grabbing stuff and all other times you need your hand no pain there.
    What could it be? its not very much pain but its the type of pain that makes me feel unsafe during my daily transfers.i

Note: this issue comes every once in a while stays a few days and then its gone

pic shows area of pain Name:  hand-anatomy-on-healthfavo.jpg
Views: 17936
Size:  166.0 KB
    Current Wheelchairs: Sopur Helium aka Quickie Q7 (lightest spec) rigid frame with Spinergy Spox Wheels
    Sopur Xenon same frame as the Q7 (lightest spec) folding frame With Spinergy LX (custom)

Suggest you see a good hand therapist (usually an OT, sometimes a PT) and have an evaluation. You may be developing early carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). It is possible early on that learning to use your hand differently in high risk activities (such as transfers) may prevent this from progressing, and some specialized hand exercises may also help.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Suggest you see a good hand therapist (usually an OT, sometimes a PT) and have an evaluation. You may be developing early carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). It is possible early on that learning to use your hand differently in high risk activities (such as transfers) may prevent this from progressing, and some specialized hand exercises may also help.

(KLD)
    Well can't go outside because right now the heat is so bad 90+ and my apartment complex doesn't have a lift so i need to wheel down the stairs with assistance and with that pain in my hand i don't feel safe doing it. I will try to Kinesio tape today so maybe that helps. But i will have it checked asap also i try to adjust my transfer technique to take the stress off my hands.
    Last edited by Darkrider; 07-07-2015 at 12:12 PM.
    Current Wheelchairs: Sopur Helium aka Quickie Q7 (lightest spec) rigid frame with Spinergy Spox Wheels
    Sopur Xenon same frame as the Q7 (lightest spec) folding frame With Spinergy LX (custom)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
    Well can't go outside because right now the heat is so bad 90+ and my apartment complex doesn't have a lift so i need to wheel down the stairs with assistance and with that pain in my hand i don't feel safe doing it. I will try to Kinesio tape today so maybe that helps. But i will have it checked asap also i try to adjust my transfer technique to take the stress off my hands.
    Good news Kinesio Taping did work! no pain so far and i adjusted my transfers as well. So happy the pain is gone!