Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: TiLite TR3 Fabrication Progress Pics

Congratulations and comments on TiLite's ordering and support process

I'm so glad to hear this. I hope the dialogue continues also. I'm really looking forward to seeing photos and hearing about how the dual camber tube works.

[Note: I don't mean to hijack your news, but as I started to reply to this it brought up a lot of my own issues with the TiLite ordering and support process. I could have put this in the Manufacturer & Vendor Forum, but I am afraid it would have been taken out of context to a situation like yours as other posts have. I hope you don't mind another of my rather long missives, and hope that TiLite reads it also.]

TiLite could have saved you a lot of stress and time if they would have let you know what was happening. Especially with DUs and complex configurations, I think TiLite needs to have a customer liaison process with engineering involved. I understand that for some customers that may not work, but certainly for a large part of TiLite's customer base it would, e.g., most of the people on this forum.

Many customers have the knowledge needed, and usually much more than most DMEs who do not have the time and money for it, and often the specific knowledge either. I work in IT, and it is not very difficult to ask a few questions to know if a customer is able to meet the requirements to deal with engineering on a specific issue, and certainly in your case it is obvious that you do. Probably they would also take-away some good information, so it would be a win-win for everyone concerned.

There are also many people who just don't need a DME, like self-funders and many internationals like us. Even for those like you who have funding with the VA, insurance, etc., there are often still many out-of-pocket costs. Ultimately the customer is the largest stakeholder in the process and the one at most risk if things do not go right, and this needs to be recognised and respected by TiLite and other manufacturers. If they continue to fob customers off to DMEs they really run the risk that many of their customers will turn to bespoke chairs, which I can't imagine is what TiLite wants to accomplish. And this problem is only going to become more difficult in January 2016 when all complex rehab options will be self funded by the customer in the US.

In our case, we were forced by TiLite's policies to use a local DME even though our funding source did not require it. Although the DME did an okay job, it was not great, and it took me a lot of extra time and stress to work around their mistakes and specific issues that they had no experience with. When it came to supplying important information like adjusting the configuration for forward tippiness and configuring a DU for an extra front rigidizer bar/footplate, they could not provide any guidance, and TiLite would not give any information either. I had to go through a process of elimination until the CAD drawing was finally agreed on. Sadly, this meant forgoing some options that really were needed, that I am still not sure if they were the problem or not.

Nor could the DME help us when the chair was delivered with a welding mistake. I'm glad I pushed for and received a letter from TiLite guaranteeing the warranty of the chair, because the DME just kept saying they would handle everything and give a lifetime warranty. Guess what, the DME is now out of business. I do not want to be held hostage by DMEs, especially when my husband's life depends on a safe and well maintained chair. And don't even get me started on all of the warranty issues if we modify the chair ourselves, which most of us have little choice but to do, along with assuming the risks and costs, just as you were about to do.

Since our previous DME went out of business, I have tried to find a new DME to deal with. When I checked about 8 months ago I was told to contact Permobil in the Netherlands. After multiple e-mails over a couple of months were ignored I was finally told I had to go to DMEs that had no knowledge of TiLite chairs and the one recommended was one that on 2 occassions had caused serious bodily harm to my husband through negligence. Although I would like to purchase some parts, I have delayed this due to TiLites policies. Unfortunately, we only receive funding every 7 years for a new chair, but if things don't change for the better, I'll be looking into all options available. I find that sad, because I really feel that TiLite makes a good product that has an important role in complex rehab technology, and really hope they address these issues for all of us.
    Last edited by elarson; 12-06-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Typo's
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks, everyone. I will post updates.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

TiLite rep emailed me today. He's having the adjustable anti-tipper sent to him, and (when it arrives) will meet with VA & me to install & adjust it. He's hoping to meet before 2016 . . .

Meanwhile I've been gradually getting my TR street ready.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

That would be great if you can get this all resolved by the end of the year. Wishing you nice holidays and hopefully a comfortable new ride with everything working.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Right now I'm taking a break (visiting CCC) from I'm hooking up the Dragonfly . . . The anti-tip, isn't needed when using the Dragonfly; I may take a brief ride yet tonight . . . back to work . . .
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Any more update?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Any more update?
    NOPE

My beautiful red, white, and blue TR3 continues to decorate my living room, while my trusty blue workhorse AeroZ1 gets me where I need to go. Periodically I enjoy riding the TR in one room; it feels great.

VA & I are still working on it. All in all, my belief is TiLite bit off more than they could chew with this combination of double camber tube and fifth wheel antitipper.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

How long is your's taking? Mine was ordered monday...

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    How long is your's taking? Mine was ordered monday...
    Seating Clinic 03FEB2015
    Approved CAD 08MAY2015
    Chair reaches me 03AUG2015 (But NOT built per approved CAD)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

t8burst
    I had a TR built to my measurements no special stuff, kind of like yours, and from approval of the cad to the chair in my house, less than six weeks.