Thread: How would you tell a pca they stink?

How would you tell a pca they stink?

I have a woman that helps me out in the mornings, and sometimes she has an unpleasant odor. But I worry how she'll react if I tell her. How would you do it?

Here is a little script for giving anyone feedback that is less than positive:

"When you..."

"I feel..."

"I would prefer that you..."

So here is a sample of how to give this feedback:

"Suzy, I really like having you be my PCA, and you do a good job of (give examples) doing my care. I don't want to make you feel bad, but when you provide me care when I am physically very close to you, I notice that sometimes you have bad body odor. When this happens, I feel uncomfortable being that close to you. I would prefer if you would bathe and use deodorant before coming to work. You may have a medical condition that I am not aware of that may cause this problem. Is there something I can do to help?"

(KLD)

Tell her your sense of smell is heightened because of the loss of sensation, lol.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I never did figure that one out. Years ago had someone that stank so bad they left an odor behind after they left. If it is over 90 outside in the summer you get the benefit of the doubt, the later in the day and the hotter, the more you have been doing in the heat the more benefit of the doubt you get. But first thing in the morning in the winter you have a problem and she had a problem. She was a great cook but the odor made eating very unpleasant.

Giving feedback can be tough, especially when dealing with something this personal. There's a management technique that I try to use in my job that you might find helpful, called Situation Behavior Impact (SBI). The idea is to structure your feedback around a very precise action rather than provide general feedback and risk coming across as being simply judgmental. It's a good technique, especially if you get used to using it on a regular basis for both good and bad feedback (over time it disarms the notion of 'good' and 'bad', and just becomes feedback. If you take the advice from SCI-Nurse and structure it in this way, it might help soften the blow. So, it would look something like this:

Situation: Last Friday when you came to work (be specific - identify the day and the activity)
    Behavior: When we were working closely together I noticed that your body odor was unpleasant. Maybe you didn't have a chance to bathe or use deodorant.
    Impact: When this happens, I feel uncomfortable being that close to you.

I'm sure that with a bit of thought, you could come up with something much better than this. But the idea is that if you structure your feedback this way, you can hopefully keep the dialogue at a constructive level. Think of it this way: you'd probably appreciate someone who delivered this news to you, if the situation were reversed.

More info on SBI can be found here. It might be helpful for you in your ongoing dialogue with your pca (FYI - I have no relationship to this site).
    http://www.mindtools.com/pages/artic...t-feedback.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Here is a little script for giving anyone feedback that is less than positive:

"When you..."

"I feel..."

"I would prefer that you..."

So here is a sample of how to give this feedback:

"Suzy, I really like having you be my PCA, and you do a good job of (give examples) doing my care. I don't want to make you feel bad, but when you provide me care when I am physically very close to you, I notice that sometimes you have bad body odor. When this happens, I feel uncomfortable being that close to you. I would prefer if you would bathe and use deodorant before coming to work. You may have a medical condition that I am not aware of that may cause this problem. Is there something I can do to help?"

(KLD)
    Thanks I'll try that. Need to build up my courage first. After all these years in a chair, I've never had this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    I never did figure that one out. Years ago had someone that stank so bad they left an odor behind after they left. If it is over 90 outside in the summer you get the benefit of the doubt, the later in the day and the hotter, the more you have been doing in the heat the more benefit of the doubt you get. But first thing in the morning in the winter you have a problem and she had a problem. She was a great cook but the odor made eating very unpleasant.
    Did she eventually quit or did you let her go?

She did quit, fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    She did quit, fortunately.
    haha
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    I have a woman that helps me out in the mornings, and sometimes she has an unpleasant odor. But I worry how she'll react if I tell her. How would you do it?
    sit her down in front of your computer and play her this: