Thread: should we bank the umbilical cord/ blood

Question should we bank the umbilical cord/ blood

It has been a while and on quick search I don't see definitive info on banking cord blood. My daughter is having a baby and my son is the injured individual.

I think I understand that there are fewer "elements" to match in cord blood, 3 vs 5, but if stem cells can be made from most anything now, is there any benefit to storing the cord and or cord blood.

Current research results are remarkable!! We are careful with money to afford for the opportunity for the cure when it arrives.

Thanks for helping!

Welcome back . Congratulations on soon becoming a grandmother.

If you read the Cure thread " Is there any good news out there?", you'll see the latest updates to your 2004 SCI stem cell therapy forum posts.

"The paper is on track to be published this year, creation of the IND application for US FDA is underway. I'm told it will be in the neighborhood of 10,000 pages. Big pharma have separate departments to accomplish this, we don't have that luxury. Start date of the US trial depends on when the paper is published, FDA approval is granted, and funding. Everything possible is being done to make this happen yesterday, hang in there."

The market for private umbilical cord blood banking is aimed at new parents seeking to provide a safety net in the very unlikely event that their child (or a direct sibling ) needs treatment for one of these conditions: http://www.nationalcordbloodprogram....f_diseases.pdf

Will that list expand once FDA approval for Dr. Young's research is approved? Hopefully so.

There's less of a chance that non-sibling family members will match 4:6 or 67% of the Human Leukocyte Antigens.

If you decide to do private cord blood banking, go into it with the idea that it's to insure the grand baby and that maybe it could someday be used to treat your son. The storage life for the cord blood is about 10 years.

If your family chooses not to do private banking, please consider donating to the Texas Cord Blood Bank or MD Anderson Cancer Center Cord Blood Bank.

My sister looked into this when she was pregnant with my niece in 2009, and her OB/GYN told her that it doesn't help much with spinal cord injuries, so it wasn't worth it. Becky, my sister, was going to bank it to use the stem cells for me for my SCI.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    The storage life for the cord blood is about 10 years.
    What's your source for this?

How long can cord blood stem cells be stored?

Sufficient years have not passed to prove the absolute length of time; however, it is believed that stem cells can be successfully stored long term, perhaps decades, in a cryopreserved form. A recent study of cord blood at Indiana University demonstrated its viability after 23.5 years of cryogenic storage. Bone marrow has been stored for decades and has remained viable; there is no reason to believe that the same would not be true of cord blood.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    What's your source for this?

How long can cord blood stem cells be stored?

Sufficient years have not passed to prove the absolute length of time; however, it is believed that stem cells can be successfully stored long term, perhaps decades, in a cryopreserved form. A recent study of cord blood at Indiana University demonstrated its viability after 23.5 years of cryogenic storage. Bone marrow has been stored for decades and has remained viable; there is no reason to believe that the same would not be true of cord blood.
    Retracting the 10 year timeframe.

May be somewhere in between:

http://www.nationalcordbloodprogram..../how_long.html