Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: High-Level Quads - What keeps you going?

High-Level Quads - What keeps you going?

Hello,
    I am a C1-C3/C2-C4 Quad and have been for close to 20 years. I don't have any movement below my shoulders. For other quads, what keeps you going?

With health problems, the following are not possible.
    Relationships (that's a hard one). (Just too many health problems)
    friends
    And other countless things

But yeah had it all prior injury. Friends, relationships. Not anymore, pretty much nil.. But I really, really, really want this to be over with. Just too much has happened that I don't think can be fixed or to make me happy. People will say, what about your friends and relatives isn't it wrong to leave them. Well to that I would say, what has my quality of life been like, would you want to be in my state and alive? It has been absolute hell last year and many years prior. Well thanks for listening, any feedback would be welcomed! (I understand others on here are going through various degrees of hell as well)

Regards,
    Brian
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

I'm a T12. I'd rather be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlevy View Post
    Boy, that was really helpful to the OP!!!

(KLD)

I'm T12/20years.
    I have my moments too, but my life has been extraordinary.
    I live one day at a time. Every day is a choice: does my life suck or will it have value? Is the glass half empty or half full? As a recovering alcoholic it's a black and white choice because if I take the downward path, I will certainly die of my disease. Sometimes it's difficult, but it hasn't been impossible.

I can't say how I'd deal with a higher injury, but when I had my flap surgery and botched colostomy, I spent 7 weeks in the hospital and two months home in bed, limited to 15* elevation.
    If you asked me beforehand, I would have said it would be impossible. I almost enjoyed it! (no thanks-not again, though!) Part of what made it acceptable was having my community around me-we had a weekly meeting here and a movie night. I used to be the lone ranger. I think COMMUNITY of any sort is so necessary for mental health. Left in my own head, I'm in hostile territory!

I hope you find this helpful. They say, in life, grief (pain) is unavoidable but suffering is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlevy View Post
    I wish I was you. No arms and… Appreciate that you at least have your arms. Man I would kill for that.
    Regards,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I'm T12/20years.
    I have my moments too, but my life has been extraordinary.
    I live one day at a time. Every day is a choice: does my life suck or will it have value? Is the glass half empty or half full? As a recovering alcoholic it's a black and white choice because if I take the downward path, I will certainly die of my disease. Sometimes it's difficult, but it hasn't been impossible.

I can't say how I'd deal with a higher injury, but when I had my flap surgery and botched colostomy, I spent 7 weeks in the hospital and two months home in bed, limited to 15* elevation.
    If you asked me beforehand, I would have said it would be impossible. I almost enjoyed it! (no thanks-not again, though!) Part of what made it acceptable was having my community around me-we had a weekly meeting here and a movie night. I used to be the lone ranger. I think COMMUNITY of any sort is so necessary for mental health. Left in my own head, I'm in hostile territory!

I hope you find this helpful. They say, in life, grief (pain) is unavoidable but suffering is a choice.
    I appreciate, you take the time to write. Yes, we've all been through a lot on this forums

I just wish, when this has happened. The doctors would have said the outlook and let me peacefully off the ventilator at the time.. Let the person, decide whether that is how they want to live. Not others

Thanks for your post, MagikLair. There are others at this site with high spinal cord injuries going through a similar experience as you. If you feel comfortable with it, consider sharing more of your situation and living arrangements.
    This is a community that has helped me in many ways. I'm a non SCI paraplegic with a lot more weakness now with medical setbacks and the aging process.

Magiklair,

I would like to say I know where you are coming from but every injury is different. I am a C4-C5 with limited arm movement, no hand function (mine are in a fist) and one arm is stronger than the other. I'm a big guy and that doesn't help I'm 6'3" around 190 - 200 lbs. I need help during the A.M. about an hour and P.M. about an hour but the rest of the day I make due.

I was fortunate enough to never be on a respirator and I am coming up on my 35th year being a quad. I have managed to accomplish a lot but no where near what I could have done without this injury. I have to agree with pfcs49 that I take one day at a time, try to have a positive attitude, accomplish something every day and not make my family and friends miserable. But I have had my moments and many challenges over the years, no one lives life either able bodied or from a chair and doesn't get through unscathed.

I have a spot on my right lung, a damaged right kidney, suffered a few pressure sores, my shoulders ache all the time, my neck is sore, my spine is twisted and right now I'm on IV antibiotics for a bad UTI. But life goes on and you need to try and find some joy in it. I believe that your strength must come from with in, if you give up everyone around you will give up. So please reconsider and don't give up!

Please IM me if you want to chat.
    Last edited by darty; 07-06-2015 at 10:44 AM.
    ^^(A)^^

Well said Darty I'm a c5 6'3" and same pounds but only 2 years post...
    magiklair life is hard and I couldn't imagine myself being any level higher, but hang in there, you're 20 years post high quad, respect! People like you motivates me