Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High-Level Quads - What keeps you going?

Food for thought
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I know. My heart goes out to you Brian. Hang in there. I'll try if you do!

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    Magiklair,

I would like to say I know where you are coming from but every injury is different. I am a C4-C5 with limited arm movement, no hand function (mine are in a fist) and one arm is stronger than the other. I'm a big guy and that doesn't help I'm 6'3" around 190 - 200 lbs. I need help during the A.M. about an hour and P.M. about an hour but the rest of the day I make due.

I was fortunate enough to never be on a respirator and I am coming up on my 35th year being a quad. I have managed to accomplish a lot but no where near what I could have done without this injury. I have to agree with pfcs49 that I take one day at a time, try to have a positive attitude, accomplish something every day and not make my family and friends miserable. But I have had my moments and many challenges over the years, no one lives life either able bodied or from a chair and doesn't get through unscathed.

I have a spot on my right lung, a damaged right kidney, suffered a few pressure sores, my shoulders ache all the time, my neck is sore, my spine is twisted and right now I'm on IV antibiotics for a bad UTI. But life goes on and you need to try and find some joy in it. I believe that your strength must come from with in, if you give up everyone around you will give up. So please reconsider and don't give up!

Please IM me if you want to chat.
    Thanks for taking the time to write. Yes, the majority of the folks on here don't have it easy. We've been through a lot of battles. We are soldiers doing not what we want, but what we have to do.. I do have a great family, so that is a plus. With that said, still would like to pass away. But I think it's understandable, in my current condition.
    Regards,
    Brian
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

Quote Originally Posted by MagikLair View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write. Yes, the majority of the folks on here don't have it easy. We've been through a lot of battles. We are soldiers doing not what we want, but what we have to do.. I do have a great family, so that is a plus. With that said, still would like to pass away. But I think it's understandable, in my current condition.
    Regards,
    Brian
    I know at this stage hopes are probably completely gone, but would you still think of a possible treatment one day that would make life easier and more enjoyable?
    for some people hoping may make it worse, but for me is what helps me, gives me strength to go through this, thinking one day I'll do again some of the things that made me happy, because I really miss my old life and I just want to get to live that again.

I am very sorry to hear that Brian, life is so precious but I understand and respect your decision. I only hope if you chose to live you can find some joy and if you don't you will find peace. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio GS View Post
    I know at this stage hopes are probably completely gone, but would you still think of a possible treatment one day that would make life easier and more enjoyable?
    for some people hoping may make it worse, but for me is what helps me, gives me strength to go through this, thinking one day I'll do again some of the things that made me happy, because I really miss my old life and I just want to get to live that again.
    Yes, that is a hope everyone has.. Hopefully that they will come soon. I just think personally for myself, it's beyond the point of repair. But for others that's probably not the case. Thanks for taking the time to write.
    Regards,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    I am very sorry to hear that Brian, life is so precious but I understand and respect your decision. I only hope if you chose to live you can find some joy and if you don't you will find peace. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
    Yes life is precious. But if you can't really enjoy it.. Then it is hard living in the state of being. I appreciate you writing back and your kind words. Thanks a lot,
    Brian

I have partial use of my right arm and have no trouble with breathing. (luckily never needed a trach) But, I spent my first 2 1/2 months without any movement though, so I have a little experience of being a higher quad. I'd like to think that I would have adapted to your situation, but I can't say for sure.

If I only had the financial resources to live alone, or at least not with my folks, so that I didn't fear going to a nursing home when the time comes that they can't help with my care, I wouldn't feel the dread of my future.

I don't have many friends. Those I had prior to my injury are gone. I've only had two short relationships but they didn't end solely due to my disability. I don't think I'll ever be truly happy, but if I find a way to live on my own (winning the lottery or getting rich from my "yet-to-be-published" children's story) perhaps I can be content.

The only advice I could give is to find something to keep your mind busy and if you can find an adaptable hobby, you might find a little joy, even if its only temporary. I wish you well and hope we can all find a reason and meaning to our lives.

P.S. When paras do the buck-up, life is good, I wanna punch them in the nose. Its really worse than AB's doing it. You should know better. To the para who wanted to die, wrap your working hands around your throat and squeeze. You'll either get your wish or realize you can have a fairly normal life without depending on others.

I've tried. Overdosing will make you throw up like you wouldn't believe. Double vision too. Next time will use helium. Thanks for the empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlevy View Post
    I've tried. Overdosing will make you throw up like you wouldn't believe. Double vision too. Next time will use helium. Thanks for the empathy.
    Me un-empathetic, says the man with the ability to live an independence productive life, but comes in on a high quad needing some encouragement and you do anything but. And when I said use your hands on your throat I was being literal and ironic. Either use your hands, or get on with life. Oh, if you're gonna gas yourself, use nitrogen. Helium will cause you to gasp and possibly stop... nitrogen won't. I saw it on PBS's Frontline.