Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerchair Motors

Powerchair Motors

Which motors are the best when building a custom chair? Traditional straight shaft electric motors or right angle style motors? I assume most all controllers can run about any style of motor just need different electrical connections??

Nobody builds a all terrain powerchair that is 30" wide, can navigate moderate terrain, mud and snow and will fit in a van. Let alone at a affordable price...
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

You might want to ask here http://www.wheelchairdriver.com or check out his custom built chair, it would do most of what you want.

RSieck,

Regarding "Nobody builds a all terrain powerchair that is 30" wide ... at a affordable price" - if $14k is affordable for the all-terrain chair that you seek, there is 30" wide version that does fit in a van.

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    RSieck,

Regarding "Nobody builds a all terrain powerchair that is 30" wide ... at a affordable price" - if $14k is affordable for the all-terrain chair that you seek, there is 30" wide version that does fit in a van.
    Yep, I was going to suggest this. They're still expensive but I'd much rather have this than the Trackchair.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I'd advise doing some research on tracked chairs before buying. Wheelchair controllers+high amp draw stationary turns=major problem. I looked into this before buying my off road chair and wouldn't waste money on one.

Have you looked at the X8 from IMM or the frontier X5 or X6, I have an X4 (older model), it fits in my Honda VMI conversion.

http://www.mobility-usa.com/x8.htm

>>>You might want to ask here http://www.wheelchairdriver.com or check out his custom built chair, it would do most of what you want.

Yes it will, under 27 wide, 37 long total all in. 45 miles range, 16+ mph, 45 Volt 3.240kWh Lithium Phosphate (safe) battery system, 150A per channel. And 6750 watts peak per motor electrical power... Its more for outdoors and indoors than off road, but works on sand, snow, mountains...

However I dont sell anything. Others are building similar things, over on my forum. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-M...powerchair.htm

I've spent a lot of time on wheelchairdriver.com.

Tracks would be the ticket somedays and some situations, but not suitable for a everyday outdoor chair. I won't be in mud or snow 24/7. I've seen the X8, didn't like how it turned, unless it has changed since I saw it last ~5 years ago. I wanna use Lithium batteries, def don't need to go 16mph. As for weight, I was thinking of making out of aluminum to stay under 200lbs if possible. Wanna be able to take it with me behind my side by side, prolly on a trailer.

In the future, a trackchair might be nice in the cattle or hog lot with manure and what not or to do chores in the winter. But for now, a wheeled chair would be the most feasible.

Buegerman-- I'll poke around on the forum, maybe even join. Thanks for the link.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Quote Originally Posted by RSieck View Post
    I've seen the X8, didn't like how it turned, unless it has changed since I saw it last ~5 years ago.
    I was thinking about getting an X8 for soft beach sand, but have never seen one live. What didn't you like about how it turned?
    C-6/7 incomplete

It would lock up the inside tire. So if you were turning left, the front left tire would lock up as it was steering left. But this was probably 6 years ago, so maybe they've changed.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA