Thread: Waiting for the pain to break - rant

Waiting for the pain to break - rant

Ah, waiting for the burning to stop. It's all over, I can feel in my face and my hair hurts. Burning on the tops of my hands, inside my thighs. Like when I had a bad sunburn as a kid. The other day I went to bed praying for the Vicodin to kick in and woke in the morning still on fire but after a few hours it stopped, it broke. Thank god. I hope some time in the next couple of hours this stops. I've had worse but this is all over. I have a drug hangover from last night. C'mon body. I know we don't like each other but give me a break, I have lunch plans today. I would like to have a nice visit without squirming the whole time and only half present.

If I ever meet my body in a dark alley I am going to punch it in the face.

grommet, have you tried medical MJ? Since you are in CA, you should be able to get a card for this. Opioids are really not very effective for neuropathic pain.

(KLD)

Nurse, thank you for you suggestion. My post was more of a rant, I wasn't thinking about something that might help. I haven't found a medication that helped with neuro pain. I didn't know opiods weren't helpful with neuro pain, I do know if I take enough of them they are a distraction. Your idea of using marijauna, I don't think that's something I could ever do unless it was doctor prescribed and came in a pill. If you can refer me to a study or studies regarding marijauna and neuro pain, that would be helpful. Thanks.

Thank you for the references, I will start looking through them. In twenty years I haven't found anything that has helped and as I've gotten older the pain has gotten worse though very luckily lately (except for this recent episode) it has been less often . They've (MD's) given me all the usual stuff over the years. I remember them all. If I did find something that worked, even if it took the edge off, I'd be grateful. I love my partner dearly but I can never seem to get her to understand what it's like. I am very glad she doesn't know what it's like.

I will read though the references. Thanks again.

Marijuana is not a lot of help for me although when I start burning starts I reach for my humidifier ...out of a scale of 1 to a hundred to scale out how much pot pot helps on the burning for me it is 3 to 5%.

Thank you for the feedback. I've tried all the regular pills, none helped. Very luckily for some strange reason I am having fewer episodes. Still, when it does hit and stays for a few days I would like a 'coma' pill, just go out and come back when it's over ;-) The stuff they give me when I'm under General would be fine but I don't think they are going to let me have Fentanyl and Versed for the bedside. Be nice though huh? Having an ampule, pain gets too bad break the nib swallow and wake up a long time later. Fantasy world. ;-)

Thanks again for telling me about your reaction with marijuana.

I can't say it does anything except help me sleep just a little more
    And there is no hangover if I need to mentally blur.

ket

Thanks Ket, it helps to know how it affects other people. I guess for me, Vicodin gives me that blur. I don't like the stuff but foggy in pain feels better to me than wide awake in pain. It's funny that SCI-Nurse mentioned that opiates don't help with nerve pain. Years ago the doctor gave me a bottle of liquid morphine (morphine sulfate). I remember trying the stuff and it hit hard enough but it didn't help at all. I kept the bottle around for years until it looked like it was leaking and I decided to throw it away. Couldn't sleep on morphine anyway, never could. Just puts me in a zombie state.

You are always a bit vauge as to what non-SCI syndrome you have that causes you to need both powered and manual wheelchairs, cognitive problems and episodic pain. It may be you know and don't feel comfortable sharing (which is fine) but if not have you considered exposure to heavy metals: http://www.evenbetterhealth.com/heav...g-symptoms.asp

It's easy to test for and a lot of the symptoms can be ameliorated by chelation therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Thanks Ket, it helps to know how it affects other people. I guess for me, Vicodin gives me that blur. I don't like the stuff but foggy in pain feels better to me than wide awake in pain. It's funny that SCI-Nurse mentioned that opiates don't help with nerve pain. Years ago the doctor gave me a bottle of liquid morphine (morphine sulfate). I remember trying the stuff and it hit hard enough but it didn't help at all. I kept the bottle around for years until it looked like it was leaking and I decided to throw it away. Couldn't sleep on morphine anyway, never could. Just puts me in a zombie state.