Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microcyn/Hydrocleanse/Puracyn protocol. New Thread

Microcyn/Hydrocleanse/Puracyn protocol. New Thread

My ID doctor suggested that we try to document the different protocols that we use and with what results. I will go first, hope others contribute soon for everyone's benefit. Let's try to keep this on topic, if possible. That is people that are currently using the product, reason for beginning its use, protocol of use and results. The idea is to give those interested one thread where protocols can be quickly reviewed on an on topic thread.

I have had a recurring hospital aquired uti, ecoli. From September 2013 until may/June I averaged roughly one per month or 45 days.

My Protocol. Two to three times a day, 20cc plus per irrigation, sometimes mixed with 8-10cc's of distilled water since switching to Hydrocleanse. I spray on the tip of my johnson a couple of times a day to keep the area clean.

1) I began using Puracyn early last year, cant remember exactlly when. I would spray the meatus and catheter five or six times a day, instilling 20cc around once a week. This immediately cut down my infections and did not have one for three months or so.

2). I visited my ID, he told me that it was better to instill than to keep taking antibiotics, so I began instilling a full 20cc syringe twice a day, three times a day when urine began to look cloudy. I have had two or three infections in the last 18 months. Using it that intensely works for me, if i cut down too much, urine starts getting cloudy.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Oculus Innovative Sciences Introduces Microcyn AH (Animal Health)

Oculus Innovative Sciences has introduced a new line of products for animals called Microcyn AH (Animal Health), including Microcyn AH Wound and Skin Care Liquid and Hydrogel. The MicrocynAH? family of animal healthcare products are the ONLY animal healthcare products formulated with the original Microcyn? Technology. It is a superior hypochlorous acid solution that is clinically proven safe, non-toxic and effective. Can safely be used around the nose, eyes, ears and mouth and requires no mixing or dilution.

It is available for purchase online at the Oculus store for $24.99 for a 16oz pump spray bottle. http://microcynah.com/video/

Pet Stores and on line shopping services are starting to stock and sell Microcyn AH, giving you a choice in price/shipping. See these:
    Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/MicrocynAH-Wou.../dp/B00TYEXJ4M 16oz bottle for $19.23 and free shipping over $35.00

King's Wholesale: https://www.kingwholesale.com/shoppi...st.cfm?id=8519

Entirely Pets: http://www.entirelypets.com/microcyn...skin-care.html

Ryan's Pet.com: https://www.ryanspet.com/MA00502

Healthy Pets: http://www.healthypets.com/microcyn-...are-16-oz.html

Canadian Pet Connection: http://www.canadianpetconnection.com...ies/p/50837379

Store Locator: http://microcynah.com/locator/

For more information and FAQs, try these links:
    http://microcynah.com/microcynah/

http://microcynah.com/why-microcynah/

http://microcynah.com/video/

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 06-26-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Injury:
    C6/7 Complete, 33 years post injury

Bladder Management Type:
    Suprapublic Catheter (placed June 2010)
    Bardex Latex Foley 16Fr

Bladder Instillations:
    Started using super oxidized water/electrolyzed water for bladder instillations in July 2010.
    Instilled Vetericyn (with Microcyn Technology for about 1 year) 20cc Vetericyn and 10cc saline, retained for 10 minutes once per day
    Switched to Vetericyn VF or VVF - Veterinarian Formula (with Microcyn Technology for about 3 years) 20cc Vetericyn and 10cc saline retained about 10 minutes once per day
    Switched to Oculus Innovative Sciences HydroCleanse (when Vetericyn and Vetericyn VF no longer used Microcyn Technology). Used since Sept 2014, 30cc retained about 10 minutes once per day.
    If urine get cloudy and/or has an odor instill 30cc twice a day for 10 minutes each time.
    Will consider usinging MicrocynAH (uses the patented Microcyn Technology) Wound and Skin Care Liquid when supply of HydroCleanse is gone.

Last Bladder Infection:

January 2015 during 7 day hospitalization

Average number of urinary tract infections per year (July 2010-June 2015):

Infections from October 2004 to June 2005 while managing bladder with intermittent catheterization (22 years) and before knowledge of super oxidized/electrolyzed water:
    8 or 9. Several of these needed to be treated with IV antibiotics

All the best,]
    GJ

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I have used Vetericyn VF for a few years and my caregivers used to instill 30cc every other day and leave it in for 45 minutes. Worked great. I switched to HydroCleanase when they had the free offer and it worked well for a few months. On my third order last month, they said free shipping if bought 6 bottles but I have had very sporadic results since. The first bottle worked reasonably well, the second hardly at all so I threw it out. The third bottle is better so far but not near as good as the Vetericyn or the original HC. I have nurses every day since April 1, so they do it but if the next bottle performs as poorly, will need to change to another product.
    The VA provides Irrigation Kits with piston syringes so it's a very sterile procedure.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Year of spinal cord injury: 1988
    year of bladder augmentation with mitrofanoff (umbilical stoma): 2002

Plenty of infections, lots of thick yellow mucus, retained an disappointingly overactive bladder acquiring Botox annually, generally can hold 400 easily, will actively void out the stoma at 500 cc.

Present bladder management protocol:
    1. irrigation with two, 45 cc syringe fills of sterile saline (homemade) after the morning and evening caths, to clear mucus.
    2. Following the morning cath, installation of 50 cc of microcyn, leaving it in for three minutes, massaging the bladder area to ensure circulation, then using the syringe to withdraw the microcyn rather than letting it simply flow out. I do this because I find it provides a better means for actively sucking out stubborn mucus that the microcyn does a good job at loosening up.
    3. I now, whenever possible with caregivers use betadine swabs or Q-tips soaked in betadine in and around the stoma before each cath as the umbilical stoma has a high potential for retaining bacteria since it is provides an inverted pocket that can trap bacteria, despite thorough cleaning in the shower.

I noticed that since doing this the mucus quantity has decreased substantially and the mucus that does come out is of lighter thickness and a whiter in color rather than the yellowish I was previously experiencing.

I use 50 cc once per day prophylactically because having an augmented bladder I feel would require using a little more volume of microcyn to coat and circulate my larger bladder which I think has a lot of folds and crevices.

Pie
    Last edited by Zipperneck; 07-13-2015 at 11:23 PM.

Thanks Zipperneck for removing your questions from this thread and asking them on another thread.

Trying to keep this thread open only to reporting and documenting anecdotal user experiences of HydroCleanse, MicrocynAF and similar products.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-14-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Injury 3/2010, T-5, ASIA-B (ischemic damage, not trauma)

Intermittent Catheterizing, using Cure Medical closed system kit.

Routine - first cath session when I get up -
    1. I fill a 50mm 'slip tip' syringe w/ about 30mm of HC (used to do the same w/ VVF, then VVF+, will be switching to MicrocynAH after current order of HC is used...) I leave about 5mm of air in the syringe.
    2. I follow normal process of swabbing urethral area w/ povidone swabs (in kit) and emptying bladder into collection bag as usual.
    3. When drained (I normally partially withdraw and reinsert the cath to be sure I'm empty), with the catheter still in place, I use a pair of scissors to cut the collection bag off the tube, just short of the insertion tip. (Be sure you are drained, otherwise it gets messy...)
    4. I insert the syringe into the cut off end of the cath tube (it's a very snug fit, takes a bit of force) and while carefully holding it to keep the air at the top, instill the HC into my bladder until the air just starts to enter the cath tube.
    5. I then gradually withdraw the cath tube while continuing to push the plunger on the syringe, which forces the remaining HC into my urethra giving it a bit of a 'flush'
    6. I leave the HC in my bladder until the next time I cath, usually 4-6 hours later.

Result - NO treatable infections since I started this routine. Urine normally clear for almost entire session, but frequently get a bunch of sediment / cloudiness right as I get to the end. Sometimes have a cloudy / murky batch, but no bad odor or other UTI symptoms....

Note, I also do a high strength cranberry concentrate pill 2x day, and 4g of Vitamin C, both of which are also supposed to help....

ex-Gooserider
    T-5 ASIA-B para, currently working on building own power chair, as being in a manual is an EXTRA handicap.

people that are currently using the product
    Myself

reason for beginning its use
    Came down with a UTI in/around mid-July of 2014. The normal UTI routine of 10 days worth of broad-spectrum abx wouldn't shake the K.Pneumonia infection I came down with, so I thought I'd give the Microcyn treatment a try.

protocol of use
    VVF hydrogel as a lubricant for my catheters; I literally take the spray bottle and spray a stream of the stuff down my urethra prior to inserting the catheter.

and results.
    While I am still technically "infected" (I believe the bug managed to infiltrate my epithelial cells; my cultures grow out K.Pneumonia, and my bladder is incredibly tight, and I am incontinent unless I take ditropan - something I didn't have to take prior to the initial infection), I have not had an active infection since.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

[QUOTE=crags;1771754]Year of spinal cord injury: 1988
    year of bladder augmentation with mitrofanoff (umbilical stoma): 2002

Plenty of infections, lots of thick yellow mucus, retained an disappointingly overactive bladder acquiring Botox annually, generally can hold 400 easily, will actively void out the stoma at 500 cc.

Present bladder management protocol:
    1. irrigation with two, 45 cc syringe fills of sterile saline (homemade) after the morning and evening caths, to clear mucus."

Can you tell me how to make the sterile saline? I'm between doctors and am new at this mitrofanoff/augment thing.
    Last edited by darlagee22; 10-19-2015 at 01:38 AM. Reason: quoted wrong