Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Milos Popovic: Pioneering Developments for Paralysis

Thumbs up Dr. Milos Popovic: Pioneering Developments for Paralysis

Dr. Milos Popovic, Professor at the Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering and Toronto Rehab Chair in Spinal Cord Injury Research describes some of his team's work that has led to the development of a new function electrical stimulator product and spin-off company that will lead to many people improving the use of their arms after spinal cord injury and stoke.

VIDEO LINK
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 06-24-2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: highlighted the word ARMS

I kinda felt like I was watching a video from the 1980's, all this is really nothing new. FES has been around for a long time and really is not all that "functional" mostly good for exercise and tone and circulation, not so much in improving lifestyle with function.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Is he the same guy who invented those walking braces back in the '*0's. he had a woman demonstrating them and I think they eventually got married. The major deficiencies was weight and battery life.

That was Petrovsky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Is he the same guy who invented those walking braces back in the '*0's. he had a woman demonstrating them and I think they eventually got married. The major deficiencies was weight and battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I kinda felt like I was watching a video from the 1980's, all this is really nothing new. FES has been around for a long time and really is not all that "functional" mostly good for exercise and tone and circulation, not so much in improving lifestyle with function.
    Did you watch the same video as the link Grammy posted? He literally showed results of people improving function by integrating FES into their therapy. You say FES doesn't do much to improve lifestyle with function, yet in the video the results showed improved function...

FES does not cause nerve regeneration. I believe in FES I do it every other day for an hour with my legs but I've gained back nothing, but my legs stay in good shape and remain toned. It will do nothing though to "Cure" SCI or even improve function when the electrodes are not hooked up. When they are hooked up, it is good for therapy though, not disputing that.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    Did you watch the same video as the link Grammy posted? He literally showed results of people improving function by integrating FES into their therapy. You say FES doesn't do much to improve lifestyle with function, yet in the video the results showed improved function...
    I believe they were pretty much talking about arm function in the video as opposed to walking or leg locomotion. The patient with a paralyzed arm was 19 yrs. post stroke in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    FES does not cause nerve regeneration. I believe in FES I do it every other day for an hour with my legs but I've gained back nothing, but my legs stay in good shape and remain toned. It will do nothing though to "Cure" SCI or even improve function when the electrodes are not hooked up. When they are hooked up, it is good for therapy though, not disputing that.
    Nobody in this thread ever said it causes nerve regeneration. You do not need to regenerate anything to improve function, though. In the study he presented, people who incorporated FES into their therapy improved scores on tests mimicking activities of daily living, without the stimulator, after the study had concluded. FES most often improves volitional strength of any muscle that has some beginning strength, or even residual connections to muscles that might not fire yet due to weakness immediately after the injury.This has been a known effect of FES in stroke, mild TBI, and motor-incomplete SCI for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I believe they were pretty much talking about arm function in the video as opposed to walking or leg locomotion. The patient with a paralyzed arm was 19 yrs. post stroke in the video.
    All that I saw was about arm or hand function. Function is function, though. The video showed that standard PT/OT plus FES provides superior results to standard PT/OT alone. Granted it was a sales pitch for a device, but that finding has been replicated by multiple researchers in multiple labs for years.

Cell injections + FES may return a great deal of function.