Thread: New SCI T7 Person needs advice

Arrow New SCI T7 Person needs advice

Mine happened November 24th of last year, 2014. I would of rather of never stayed alive after the motor vehicle accident but unfortunately here I am with fears and pain.
    I don't know who to talk to about my feelings on my whole situation and I don't want to give more grief to my wonderful husband who is trying so hard to take it all with grateful understanding.
    The hardships are maximal and the self esteem is minimal within myself.
    Please let me know how to cope. Thank you so much.

Welcome to CareCure! There are many people here who can relate to where you are right now. Can you tell us a little more about where you did rehab, what part of the world you live in (country, state, etc.) and what you are doing with yourself right now (going to school, working, attending outpatient therapy, wheelchair sports, etc. etc. etc.)? Are you receiving any psychological counseling? What is your insurance situation?

I moved your post to the New SCI forum since it is about a new injury, but feel free to post other questions elsewhere, such as our Mobile Women forum, Sexuality & Relationships, or Care forums. There are people here who can help.

(KLD)

Welcome about how to cope it gets easier but it's really learning how to live all over again. Me i tend to take it out on family or drown it in booze which never helps only makes things worse. I get out at least once a week to play poker with friends support groups help some. And of course coming here helps as well.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I am a T8, but function as a T7 supposedly (it is not an exact science). The first year sucks, so does the second and I am about to hit my sixth and it still sucks. That being said it does get better. At your level you can be completely independent. I work full time, Have racked up 80K frequent flyer miles (real one not credit card ones) so far this year. Have a great kid, nice house, fun car (Mini Cooper's rock for para's). You don't even have a year under your belt, trust me you will get better at everything. I think before a year I was still using a board to transfer (haven't used on in 4 years now for anything except my lawn mower). Was learning the diet to manage my bowel program and dialing in my pain meds (that took a while).

How to cope? Just take it one day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spottedmulie View Post
    Mine happened November 24th of last year, 2014. I would of rather of never stayed alive after the motor vehicle accident but unfortunately here I am with fears and pain.
    I don't know who to talk to about my feelings on my whole situation and I don't want to give more grief to my wonderful husband who is trying so hard to take it all with grateful understanding.
    The hardships are maximal and the self esteem is minimal within myself.
    Please let me know how to cope. Thank you so much.

I agree that knowing a little more information would be helpful. Rehab should have had you talk to a psych doc and you probably need to continue to do so. Your life may be different that before November 2014 but that does not mean it is over. Your husband understands that and you are fortunate that he is supportive. My advice to you is to find a doctor who is experienced with SCI trauma and talk to him/her. --eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

T4 here, 34 years post. A roommate told me originally in Rehab "I always liked a challenge and this is a challenge and I will beat it" Those words always stuck with me. The other thing to consider is you really do not have it that bad, it would be much worse if you had broken about 10 inches up in your neck, life as a quad is a lot more tough and yet people even with those injures go on and can still have lives worth living. It is what it is, just try to make the best of it. Maybe think about taking up Wheelchair sports, that has helped out a lot for me. At least your husband is still around, that's more than a lot of people can say who have had people that left us within the first months of injury.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

What did you do before you were hurt? People here can help you get back to doing that.
    I'm a T6 and do almost everything I did before I was hurt (haven't figured out how to paint the corners of the ceiling). Raised a kid, now taking care of grand daughter, PTA, drive dump truck, run a couple businesses, etc.

I can honestly tell you that second to family and faith, the best thing for me was work. I started working about two years after my injury in 1992 while I was going to college and havent looked back since. It has kept me focused, healthy and confident. Its a vital part of social reintegration and learning just how easy it can be to live again. We dont have it any easier than other folks just because we're paralyzed; we just have to do things differently and we're all individuals. Finding your path is the quickest road to a happy life and it surely isnt easy, but the quicker you become more involved the better off you and your family will be. Im a C5-6 quad, 23 years post and I dont know that I would trade my life now for my previous one!

Feel free to IM me if I can help in any way or if you have any questions!

Ben
    C5-6 - 22 years

You are so correct about working. My husband and I own and work a small animal vet clinic. He's the vet and myself well, I'm a liability now so unfortunately I cannot function as before. But do help with customer service and advertising. Work has helped tremendously. Confident, no but hopefully time will heal that aspect of my journey.It can't be helped about how uncomfortable coworkers and family members are around me.
    Thank you Ben for talking with me about the experiences of being paralyzed. You are truly inspiring!! Thank you!

So true about people leaving. I guess because I'm a newbie I need to learn more about this situation.
    Thank you so much Curt.