Thread: Rowheels' Rev1 Wheels For Manual Chairs...

Rowheels' Rev1 Wheels For Manual Chairs...

Hello everyone. I am a C-5 quadriplegic and for the last 10 years I have been working on developing a new type of wheelchair wheel/wheelchair propulsion method that will hopefully reduce or eliminate the type of shoulder injuries that are all too common to many users (Somewhere between 50% to 70% long-term manual wheelchair users develop shoulder pain and injury). I was on this forum a couple years ago talking about them thinking they would be available then but it took a lot more testing and development than I was anticipating but after a lot of hard work, we are finally ready and they are now available. They are coded through insurance so all you need is to get a letter of medical necessity and you can go through your local provider to get a pair. We designed them to be quick release and compatible with most ultralight manual wheelchairs. Here is an introductory video and a link to the website. I'll be happy to answer any questions. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/8uOY6T49Yhg

http://www.rowheels.com/

I like this even though mounting might be a problem for me on my favorite chair. How heavy is each one including mounting hardware. How long do they take to get used to using? You say they are coded. I'm not so sure if medicare will pick up any of the cost as replacement wheels on a chair they did not purchase. Do you know? What is the cost?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

In your earlier posting you wrote: "...The dial being turned in the video engages the hill-holding mechanism.
    So, going from A to B you need 31% less strokes, while traveling 31% farther per full rotation of the hand rim..."

Are the Rowheels still gear shiftable? Second I remember that there is supposed to be a hill holding feature. Would that be in normal gear or the 31% further gear? It would seem that normal for hill climbing would be the one, but I want to confirm. MagicWheels has that feature. I don't like theirs as I stuck sometimes, hopefully you have improved technology for hill holding.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

nonoise,

The wheels weigh about 7.5 pounds. We put a lot of effort into making them as lightweight as possible. That included making the hub out of magnesium, and the gears out of a high strength engineering composite and using unique components all in an effort to keep the weight down. You probably won't notice the difference because you're using several more muscles that are larger and more capable than the ones you use when pushing.

As to how long it will take you to get used to it; that is a tough question to answer. What I can tell you is that most people get the hang of it within the first half hour. Some take longer than others but I'm confident that within a few days you would become accustomed. You would have to relearn things like going over curves but it would be the same as when you initially learned to go over curves using regular wheels. Just last week we had a user who has been in the chair for 26 years try them and within 10 minutes he got the hang of it and loved it. His therapist is filling out the info and he's ordering a pair.
    The reason why Medicaid does not cover regular replacement wheels is because they are not coded. Our wheels are not regular replacement wheels and offer a substantial benefit to those who have repetitive stress injuries or pain. Rowheels REV1 is covered by Medicaid if you have been in a manual chair for at least one year and your therapist or doctor can document that it will either enhance functionality and independence and/or reduce shoulder pain. The link below goes into detail on the subject.
    http://www.rowheels.com/assets/medicalqualjus.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    In your earlier posting you wrote: "...The dial being turned in the video engages the hill-holding mechanism.
    So, going from A to B you need 31% less strokes, while traveling 31% farther per full rotation of the hand rim..."

Are the Rowheels still gear shiftable? Second I remember that there is supposed to be a hill holding feature. Would that be in normal gear or the 31% further gear? It would seem that normal for hill climbing would be the one, but I want to confirm. MagicWheels has that feature. I don't like theirs as I stuck sometimes, hopefully you have improved technology for hill holding.
    We decided not to include the hill holding feature to reduce complexity and cost. We may eventually bring it back as an add-on and hopefully it will work better than magicwheels!
    As for the gear ratio, it has always been fixed; no shifting. You always have a 31% displacement advantage when using Rowheels (for every turn of the hand rim, the wheels turn 31% more). That means that they are very responsive and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by salamero View Post
    nonoise,...clip... Rowheels REV1 is covered by Medicaid if you have been in a manual chair for at least one year and your therapist or doctor can document that it will either enhance functionality and independence and/or reduce shoulder pain. The link below goes into detail on the subject. http://www.rowheels.com/assets/medicalqualjus.pdf
    It says they need, or needed to have supplied me a wheelchair too:
    ?The wheelchair is provided by a supplied that employs a RESNA-certified Assistive Practitioner (ATP) who specializes in wheelchairs and who has direct, in-person involvement in the wheelchair/product selection for the patient.?

Likely I would have to purchase Rowheels out of pocket. What would that set me back?

Quote Originally Posted by salamero View Post
    We decided not to include the hill holding feature to reduce complexity and cost. We may eventually bring it back as an add-on and hopefully it will work better than magicwheels!
    As for the gear ratio, it has always been fixed; no shifting. You always have a 31% displacement advantage when using Rowheels (for every turn of the hand rim, the wheels turn 31% more). That means that they are very responsive and quick.
    Good choice on the hill holder, and on offering the single speed 31% boost. Frankly, I hate having to use my triceps, so I'd like to see these gain wild acceptance and the price crash overnight.

don/t know why they won/t put price out there

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    don/t know why they won/t put price out there
    Got deep pockets? I didn't even mention it to my doctor last week:
    http://www.spinlife.com/Rowheels-REV...oductID=107806