Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why can't I work?

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of SCI issues are brewing for you? I noticed in your history on this forum, you went from T10 incomplete now to T3. Maybe those issues are far and beyond the usual SCI limitations when it comes to working and should be included when making a comparison to others?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what sort of SCI issues are brewing for you? I noticed in your history on this forum, you went from T10 incomplete now to T3. Maybe those issues are far and beyond the usual SCI limitations when it comes to working and should be included when making a comparison to others?
    Yes, I went from T10 many years ago to some partial T3 symptoms, most likely from a syrinx, but after so many spine operations I don't want to mess with an anti-syrinx operation, I've heard horror stories. I've been steady at T3 for years now though, I doubt things will change, more worried about aging than the syrinx frankly, since I can barely make the transfers I need to now. I don't even talk to neurologists, much less neurosurgeons, any more: they never have anything helpful to say, never really have had either. I came to this situation kind of late in life and I don't seem as adept as some younger people, never did master a transfer board for instance, so I can't get in and out of cars, and I seem to spend much of my time missing things that are missing nowadays.

You have gotten some good advice. From your OP, I would recommend that you look at the following:

• Get some help with determining why your bowel care takes so long. Not safe to be sitting up on a commode for 3 hours! Consider a colostomy more seriously if you have started to develop a megacolon.
    • Loose some weight. You will be less fatigued, transfers will be easier, and so will weight shifts. Cathing will also be easier.
    • Learn how to cath more easily and quickly in your chair. Do you have a pant holder (Betty Hook)? This can help a lot. Using a mirror can help with your obesity problem until you loose some weight.
    • Use compression stockings to help prevent and manage your edema. There are "tricks" for putting these on, so if you need advice on this, post here.
    • Have a seating evaluation done to be sure you are really in the right cushion.
    • Do you use a manual or power chair? If a power chair, can you get a tilt-in-space seat to help you do your weight shifts? A manual chair will of course help you burn more calories.
    • What method do you use for doing weight shifts?
    • Can you use a watch alarm or cell phone alarm to remind you to do w/c weight shifts more consistently?
    • Do some type of cardiovascular exercise. This would help with your endurance, increase your arm strength, and help you burn calories. Swimming, hand cycling or even the use of a table-top ergometer are good ways to do this.
    • Find a reason to get out of bed and out of the house daily. If you can't work, then consider volunteering, perhaps at multiple places.
    • Talk to your provider about treatment for depression. You sound pretty depressed here: "I'm at a point where I have difficulty seeing any purpose in anything".

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 06-21-2015 at 12:44 PM.