Thread: Scared by bowel issues

Scared by bowel issues

I've been living OK with SCI for over 15 years. Now it just seems like the bowels are failing. They never seem to fully empty, some incontinence episodes, feel kind of bloated much of the time. I've tried a lot of regimens and currently use Miralax 1/day and bisacodyl every other day, roughly. Increasing Miralax leads to incontinence. I can't do much when I haven't fully emptied due to incontinence risk and partly discomfort.

Anyway, here's the thing. Some neurologists and surgeons have suggested a colostomy, and that was when I was a lot better functioning too. Medically, I can see that would make sense.

Unfortunately, I can't do it. It's just not for me. I feel like I've been through enough and don't want to go through that too.

Do I really not have any option? Isn't there something they can do?

One other question, do bowel problems affect mood? I have been a bad mood lately and have become much more irritable too.

Have you tried enemeez instead of the suppositories? it is a 5 ml liquid suppository or mini enema and may work better than the Bisacodyl. Enemeez plus has benzocaine in it for AD. www.enemeez.com. There is also a generic form of it that the same company makes- Alliance. Get some free samples and try.
    CWO

Bowel problems def affect mood, horrible to deal with.
    I'm 19 yrs post and was having issues also. Miralax is working well, but you have to take it consistently in the beginning. Once I started going well I was able to take much less often.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you tried enemeez instead of the suppositories? it is a 5 ml liquid suppository or mini enema and may work better than the Bisacodyl. Enemeez plus has benzocaine in it for AD. www.enemeez.com. There is also a generic form of it that the same company makes- Alliance. Get some free samples and try.
    CWO
    doesn't work for me puncture bowels

''Anyway, here's the thing. Some neurologists and surgeons have suggested a colostomy, and that was when I was a lot better functioning too. Medically, I can see that would make sense.

Unfortunately, I can't do it. It's just not for me. I feel like I've been through enough and don't want to go through that too.''

I did bc for around 24 years.. It was horrible! It controlled my life.. Never again! I've had my colostomy just over a year now.. I can eat whatever I want to.. I can go places and not have to worry about bc.. Takes around 5 minutes to change vs hours of bc.. The only thing I regret is not getting it 25 years ago..

How much fiber are you getting? Ever since I increased my daily fiber intake as well as adding stool softeners, my bowel program has been immensely better.

Prolapse maybe?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12