Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appendicitis

Please do not wait until Friday to get this checked out. You need more than blood work and a urine specimen to make a clear diagnosis. See your PCP or go to the ER! This could be nothing to fool with!
    ckf

Bloodwork and urine will not rule anything with appendix out you need either an ultrasound or ct scan i suggest you get to the ER and have these tests done there. Why have you waited almost a month since we told you before.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Well it wasn't appendicitis. I few weeks earlier, I ran out of probiotics and felt maybe I could go without them... apparently not. I had also been taking zinc supplements for more than 6 months which could have also contributed to the pain. (possible side-effect)

Anyhow, since I've had that pain before and probably will have in the future, would a doctor ever opt to do a preventative appendectomy on someone like myself? If I go to the ER for a CT scan every time I get gas pain or do the opposite and not do anything thinking it is only gas pain, would it not be prudent (given the simplicity of current appendectomy procedures) to remove a somewhat unnecessary and potentially deadly part of the body, so that in the future I wouldn't die from the lack of the said simple procedure? I realize every time you go under anesthesia you're in danger but given the situation could it not be justified?

Well did the provider say that your appendix was inflamed? It doesn't sound like it from your report. And no surgeon would take out your appendix just because you wanted it out

It sounds like you had abdominal cramping due to zinc supplements that was determined from your visit. What did the CT scan show?

A thorough review of all your medications would be in order, including all of your supplements. might be a good idea to know what your bowel program.

pbr

The appendix wasn't inflamed. The colon also looked normal but asked about my bowels. They saw some stool, but my bowels are regular and very easy, especially considering what most SCI's deal with. After the scan came back clear of appendicitis, I started eating my pro-yogurt and ordered my probiotics that I prefer from amazon and started feeling better. It was only a couple days ago that I read that zinc could cause abdominal pain, so I'm hoping that will help relieve what little pain I have left. I was also diagnosed with arthritis in that hip a few years ago and while that isn't exactly where I feel the pain, SCI pain isn't an exact science.
    Anyhow, life goes on.

When my sister had appendicitis, she had severe nausea and vomiting, along with the pain from it.

[CODE]Sounds like your gut biome may be affected since you notice a difference when you start back up on probiotics. Have you considered repopulating your beneficial bacteria with fermented foods like sauerkraut, kombucha, kefir or Kim chee?

Your pain is in the area of the ileocecal valve, the backflow device between your small intestine and large intestine. It could be the bacteria has refluxed back into the small intestine causing a bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). Undigested food that enters this area is eaten by bacteria with the byproduct fermentation and gas. The distension can be really painful and bloating uncomfortable.

I've suffered many years from a pain in this area that feels like a burning white poker branding me like livestock. So many tests and diagnosis that didn't pan out over the years. Just recently, the connection to my devastating GI issues was made to my ileocecal valve that had been removed 20 years ago and used in my continent urinary diversion bladder augmentation so it is always open for bacteria to wreak havoc by causing imflammatory flare-ups. Many people have dysfunctional valves as a result of antibiotic overuse or other stresses.

The gold standard test is a hydrogen breath test. However, the test may be negative if related to the ileocecacal valve. The solution is an antibiotic, Xifaxan aka Rifaxan, that is only sensitive in the gut. Also the FODMAP diet helps eliminate the foods that have a long transit time or are fermentable because they don't break down.

Prebiotics, ie inulin, are especially irritating as well as most sugars and sugar alcohols ( sweeteners ending in -ol like xylitol, sorbitol, etc often found in chewing gums and artificially sweetened items).

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Lie on your back with your heels near your butt (knees bent). Straighten your legs (unbend knees). If pain spikes in your lower right abdomen, go to the ER. Nausea can also be a symptom of appendicitis.
    Thanks for the advice, always wondered how to tell.