Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What were those cases of people pretending to be disabled???

What were those cases of people pretending to be disabled???

The recent Rachel Dolezal case reminds me of the (few) cases where able-bodied people prefer to identify themselves as being disabled. I think the mindset is the same - certainly there are parallels.

I am not talking about people who simply fake a disability in order to claim social security. I mean people who are AB but use a wheelchair. They completely identify themselves as being disabled. They live the lie almost to the extent that they believe it themselves.

Can anyone remember any of these cases? I recall a poster on here "PALS" was one....

I don't have an answer for you, but an interesting anecdote.

When I was in rehab one of the workers there (can't remember if she was a PT, PTA, nurse or other professional) taught a class for us. Apparently she had been AB for quite some time before her "injury" and a few months prior to teaching our class she allegedly had an SCI. What are the odds right? I mean the irony of working for years with SCIs and then having one yourself... cruel and unusual.

Anywho, she's teaching this class (forget what it was) from a chair and tell us how she's all SCI'ed like the rest of us. Then during the course of the class she does several things which make me even more suspicious. The one that sticks in my mind the most is where she scooted to the edge of her chair and extended her legs out horizontally, holding them there for a good 15 seconds or so. There's lots of AB people who don't have that much lower leg and core strength. Just made me suspicious.

For all I know she really was injured and maybe she did need the chair... it's entirely possible that she had an incomplete injury and needed the chair, just had relatively well preserved function in lower extremity extensors and core muscles... never could shake the feeling that she was a faker though.

Who better to pretend right? Someone who worked with SCIs for years and years could definitely fake one if they wanted. Shit was weird.
    Last edited by funklab; 06-16-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Just look up wheelchair pretenders on youtube or google ... I thought Candy was a name one used here but don't quote me.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/archive.../t-120536.html (search Google for pretender and carecure as well).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Just look up wheelchair pretenders on youtube or google ... I thought Candy was a name one used here but don't quote me.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/archive.../t-120536.html (search Google for pretender and carecure as well).
    I read that link and saw MarkPals...that was him, the faker

The more I think about this Rachel lady; I liken her to an able-bodied person who identifies herself as being disabled:-

She rides around in a wheelchair. She lectures able-bodied people on their insensitivities towards the disabled. She uses the HC parking. Yet.....she can walk. It is all a lie. It does not matter how strongly you identify with being disabled.....you cannot CHOOSE to be disabled if you are not.

...and this is the same.

http://blog.easystand.com/2012/03/wh...ir-pretenders/

Anderson Cooper on the case...perfect, thanks. ...."a female wheelchair pretender with dreams of becoming a paraplegic. The condition is called Body Identity Integrity Disorder (BIID)"

You bring up an interesting conversation. Personally, in both situations, I don't think it's so much "I identify myself as black/disabled," it's "For some reason I really like the way people view/treat me thinking that I am black/disabled." I can see how a transgender can identify with the opposite sex because there are hormones involved which change your brain. But to "identify" as another race/disabled - I don't buy it. I think it's just liking the difference of how you are perceived as compared to who you really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    You bring up an interesting conversation. Personally, in both situations, I don't think it's so much "I identify myself as black/disabled," it's "For some reason I really like the way people view/treat me thinking that I am black/disabled." I can see how a transgender can identify with the opposite sex because there are hormones involved which change your brain. But to "identify" as another race/disabled - I don't buy it. I think it's just liking the difference of how you are perceived as compared to who you really are.
    Yup, I think you nailed it. There was a woman who told people she had cancer. It was all about how other people started treating her.

Transgender is something many people hide. It is completely different. It is about how they feel inside. There is initially shame involved. That I can understand and have a lot of sympathy with.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    http://blog.easystand.com/2012/03/wh...ir-pretenders/

Anderson Cooper on the case...perfect, thanks. ...."a female wheelchair pretender with dreams of becoming a paraplegic. The condition is called Body Identity Integrity Disorder (BIID)"
    I scrolled down to one of the commenters who said she herself suffered from BIID. She doesn't associate a limb with being hers. Wonder what causes that mental seed to grow. I could see if you don't like it because of the way it looks, moles or imperfections. But not to "associate" with it? Interesting

I read some research that states it begins in childhood. Either a family friend or neighbour or kid at school ...

Why can't a white woman be president of the NAACP? *runs for cover*
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12