Thread: Advice on Changing Bearings

Advice on Changing Bearings

I use an Invacare Crossfire T6, recently I have been hearing a faint crunch sound sometimes when I go over a bump and sometimes when I rapidly reverse and the front casters swivel. I have tried tightening and loosening the nut on the threaded fork stem without much result. I am assuming that the 3 year old bearing that I can see embedded in the fork is shot. Does this sound right? If so, what are the steps for removing/replacing this bearing? I am assuming right now that the threaded stem that passes through this bearing is solidly embedded in the fork housing above, hopefully that threaded stem is not somehow loose. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    ...clip... I am assuming that the 3 year old bearing that I can see embedded in the fork is shot. ...clip...
    This is a picture of my Crossfire T6 caster location. As you can see turning that nut will remove the whole caster assembly. So go ahead and do so. I suspectName:  t6 caster.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  152.5 KB it's corrosion and can be temporarily corrected with WD-40, which I also recommend doing.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks nonoise, but now I am really confused. On my T6 the only bearing visible is seated in the fork. Yesterday I ordered 2 new forks with bearings already seated. Cost per fork with bearings is 20.00 as opposed to just bearings at 8.00 each. I have not disassembled fork yet but I was under the impression the only bearing was in the fork and I was expecting that the threaded shaft that passed through the fork was permanently fixed in the caster housing. Was your Crossfire set up for the optional frog legs? As soon as I get the forks I will get in backup chair remove casters and forks and see if my setup is like your picture. I miss the old days when caster housings were open at the top with bearings at top and bottom, nut on the top with a plastic cap (which fell off after a week)

20 dollars for the setup cannot be beat.
    Just for clarity, there is no bearing in the picture I posted. And that chair had "normal" 4 inch casters although for the life of me I cannot find where I stored the shafts and casters. I'm sure I took them apart as a unit. If I see them later today I'll post them too.
    What I like about the old style is that the steering angle axle is adjustable on some of them so that you can keep it perpendicular to the ground.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

One day after ordering forks from Sportaid they were delivered Fedex today. I changed them out and although the old one's were not obviously damaged, my ride is smoother and no crunching sound. One problem, while removing the nut from one shaft the nut got stuck probably on some residue in the thread and surprise, surprise the whole shaft screwed right out of the fork housing above much like the pic provided by nonoise. I did my best to ratchet the shaft back in and tight but what is to prevent this shaft from loosening again. I suspect the loose shaft may have been the problem in the first place. Should I have used Loctite and can anyone suggest how best to tighten the shaft without risking damage to the threads on the shaft.

Do you have any plumbers teflon tape you could use to try to tighten the threaded joint if it is loose? If not, it is cheap and readily availble. It comes in a spool like an adhesive bandage. I don't like loctite in larger diameter holes as it might seize too much later on in this type application.

Thanks nonoise, right now everything is working fine - will pick up some plumbers teflon tape in readiness.