Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Care.com legit, or worse than Craigs??

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    In PA, caregivers are no longer allowed to do bowel programs and it makes life very difficult because scheduling nurses can really only be done in the mornings. I used to have caregivers do the BP when I got into bed at 9 pm and it worked great as I was sitting up all day, eating, drinking and moving around. Have terrible results in the mornings since we had to change last September.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

In most states, the way this is regulated for hospitals and home health agencies is that there are restrictions placed on what an RN (professional nurse) can delegate to the UAP (unlicensed assistive personnel such as aides and techs). This comes partially from the professional RNs wanting to protect their market, and also from their obligation to protect the public in the area of nursing practice.

For many states, this includes precluding UAPs being delegated activities that are complex, require on-going patient assessment and evaluation, include medication administration, and those that "invade an internal body organ or space". In most of those states, this has been interpreted to prevent RNs delegating to UAPs activities such as catheterization, suctioning, enemas, suppository administration, digital stimulation, tube feedings, IV therapy, etc. etc.

Sites such as Carelinx and Care.com see themselves as employment agencies, similar to a HHA, and have RNs on their staff. They therefore interpret this that if you hire someone from them to do activities precluded from UAPs by state law or regulation that this is illegal delegation of those tasks to the UAP.

This is of course a total fabrication when someone is hiring a person to be a PCA. In some states (such as CA) PCAs are not legally UAPs, nor do they require that their work be determined by or delegated by an RN. They view the PCA as a "extension" of the person with the disability (employer) and allow PCAs to do anything for that person that the person would do for themselves if able. This is consistent with the Independent Living vs. Medical Model of disability.

This is one example of why it may be better to avoid these on-line CNA/HHA "agencies" and instead hire through sites such as Craig's List or the local Penny Saver. Regardless of where you find your PCAs, you need to do due diligence and perform background checks, check references, and take other measures to protect yourself from being ripped off (or worse) by having this person work for you in your own home.

(KLD)

Stranger bp Ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    In PA, caregivers are no longer allowed to do bowel programs and it makes life very difficult because scheduling nurses can really only be done in the mornings. I used to have caregivers do the BP when I got into bed at 9 pm and it worked great as I was sitting up all day, eating, drinking and moving around. Have terrible results in the mornings since we had to change last September.
    S.Ranger, who is paying these caregivers you speak of?

Any recommendations for a background check agency in California?

i just tried them. they ignore adults with disabilities. am having ongoing e dialogue with them now, apparently i don't fit in their "vertical" categories of 1. senior care, 2. pet care, 3. babysitting.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    i just tried them. they ignore adults with disabilities. am having ongoing e dialogue with them now, apparently i don't fit in their "vertical" categories of 1. senior care, 2. pet care, 3. babysitting.
    wow, thanks for info
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

since i didn't fit, they threw me in senior care, so i got responses referring to alzheimers, taking care of grandpa, etc. week long e exchange with them or more. ad was not my words, nor did i know it was being placed. just browsed their site, answered some questions just to see, paid no money, got a few email responses to ad i never placed and best thing: unless i pay fee, can't respond to emails. weird place. claim they aren't agency.

I have used care.com successfully a couple of times. Yes there is a fee but I find it better than craigslist. The last time I used craigs for a PCA within 2 days I got nearly 50 responses including one looking for a machinist position and another from a chef. People seem to send their resume to anything that is posted under Jobs. I did searches for care.com using home care individual. A lot of them are CNAs or have other relevant experience. Also the page does enable communication with prospects, keeps a log of your messages, etc. They do provide other services for a fee but you do not have to use them. Once I find 2-3 prospects I communicate directly with them to arrange interviews, etc. I have found it worthwhile. And my ads have been posted verbatim and could be edited by me at any time. I seem to have had a totally different experience than some of the previous posts reflect.
    Last edited by SCIfor55yrs.; 10-24-2015 at 01:25 PM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I've had some good luck on care.com, but I had to sift through a lot of losers to find a winner.