Thread: SCI experts at 5 Universities team up to accelerate discovery of therapies

Thumbs up SCI experts at 5 Universities team up to accelerate discovery of therapies

This research program funded by the NIH with $1,087,993. will develop and test promising therapies for spinal cord injury in an animal model (primate) that could most closely predict human benefit. This is a collaborative endeavor between five research groups working closely together to accelerate discovery of therapies for human nervous system injury.

This is a collaboration between experts at UCSD, UCLA, UCSF, UC Irvine, and UC Davis to examine plasticity and regeneration in the non-human primate spinal cord. Our goal is to enhance knowledge and translational relevance of research on spinal cord injury (SCI). Given findings of the last 5 years in this model, we focus this renewal on efforts to better understand and amplify the endogenous plasticity revealed in the primate system, and to test the translation of leading potential treatments discovered in non-primate models.

LINK

Sounds good. Need more $, but a start.

I want to make a really sarcastic comment but I have a question first.How much does our uber efficient Swiss watch like government spend on SCI research.

Quote Originally Posted by ctoom91 View Post
    I want to make a really sarcastic comment but I have a question first.How much does our uber efficient Swiss watch like government spend on SCI research.
    Here you can find what the NIH is spending:
    http://report.nih.gov/categorical_spending.aspx

Then there are other founding institutions such as CIRM, private foundations, state funds etc. My guess is that the US spends about $150 mil/year, but I am sure someone can come up with a more correct amount.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

The reason I'm asking is our government and it's bureaucracies flush $1,087,933 down the toilet every 10 minutes.They're proud,happy and well paid to do it.I wonder how many committees,sub committees,hearings and mountains of forms it took to come up with the figure of $1,087,933.Why not $1M or $1.1M? Someone might be in trouble for letting this money get into the hands of actual researchers instead of being wasted on trivia.

Nobody will be in trouble for funding this SCI research project. The actual 5 researchers involved projected their own total budget costs for themselves to take it to the projects completion. NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS AND STROKE is the NIH segment in which the funding was allocated. Direct Costs: $955,506 Indirect Costs: $132,487 The cost of this project is rather miniscule in the grand scheme of things. This NINDS branch funds the majority of the SCI research.

This is the amount the SCI team budgeted for, asked to receive and it was granted. No more money was needed and no less was offered.

The guys over in the political forum could probably better answer the questions about various governments spending, waste, bureaucracies and such things along those lines. The point of the cure post was about the use of primate to further test results in 3 AIMS proposed on human SCI therapies from an exclusive collaborative research team rather than government research financing. It's a higher impact study than most...
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 06-23-2015 at 04:10 PM.