Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery issue

Battery issue

I have a permobil front wheel drive electric wheelchair, now just over two years old and the battery is not charging properly. It won't fill up barly makes it halfway, by the end of the day is almost completely dead and that's not driving around much, I charge it all night which used to fill it. Any suggestions

You need to test each battery individually, and test the charger output. Anyone with basic automotive electrical knowledge should be able to do it.

I have no idea, nor enough function to even start going about that. Something is very wrong with the battery it's only five and it's about to die charged it all night wouldn't even go halfway.

If the batteries are a couple years old and weren't properly taken care of then I'd be willing to bet they, or one of them are the source of your problem. I'd call the people you got the chair from, are you covered through insurance? A pair of good batteries retail for around $500.00 plus whatever they charge to install.

I think you just need new batteries, James. My batteries always last about two years. At that point, they just won't hold a charge just like yours are doing now. My insurance pays for new batteries, hopefully yours does too.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I have a permobil front wheel drive electric wheelchair, now just over two years old and the battery is not charging properly. It won't fill up barly makes it halfway, by the end of the day is almost completely dead and that's not driving around much, I charge it all night which used to fill it. Any suggestions
    When I've had that problem it's always been the charger and not the battery. I've had batteries last 5 years. I could usually get at least 4. So in my experience it's been the chargers and not the batteries. When I got those 5 years on a set I was a very heavy user and still they didn't quit.

Grommet, do you use a particular brand to get that many years out of your batteries? I wish I could get that many!

It's been such a long time since I had those batteries I can't remember the brand but I know it was one of the standard brands the shops install in powerchairs. To make the story more amazing, really, this is true: I got them already used. Years ago I was inbetween insurance and I used to go the shop for used parts. The mechanic would help me out, letting me take things he was supposed to throw away. Other people with insurance would get their new parts on schedule and sometimes their tires had lots of use left in them. I would install half used tires and keep them a good while. One day I was in there and he had just changed a set of batteries. He said the old ones were low on water (before gel batteries) and that I could have them. He thought if I filled them, they would probably work. I can't remember how I got them home. I think I tied one to the chair and held the other on my lap.

They took a gallon of water between them. I charged them up and after a little while they ran great. I got 12 hour days out of them in my Quickie P200.

Sorry I can't remember the brand but if you gave me a name I think I would remember if that was them.

When I was without insurance I did everything I could to keep going and necessity made me find solutions. My current set of batteries is lasting a long time but it's not a fair test since I no longer take the chair outside, I just use it at home. They are wearing down. I did about a year ago take it out for a short trip to a doctors appointment and I noticed them going down with only a few blocks of work.

How Can I tell if it's the battery or the charger. Can't believe shoppers home healthcare doesn't have service techs on the weekend people need their wheelchairs 24 seven unfortunately.

I don't know how to tell if it's the battery or the charger. In the past I have noticed that my charger was unplugged and I didn't realize it. I plugged it in and suddenly everything was okay. I had that happen a couple of times. Once I did buy a new charger and the batteries charged up fine. It seems to me it's trying one thing or the other. I know people don't have money laying around to just buy stuff so they can experiment but I don't have another idea.

On your comment about service not being available on the weekend, heck it's not available early morning or after early business hours and in my 20 years of using a chair, it's always been this way. I have spoken to people in countries all over the world and it's the same in Germany, England etcetera. People don't take us seriously, they don't get it. When you use a wheelchair, your whole life depends on it. They seem to think it's like owning a car or some convenience item. I can't convince people otherwise and I gave up trying. It's sad but I think we're on our own.