Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Frog Sheilds for Frog Leg casters

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    One thing you have to watch for is to not tighten the screws down to tight, otherwise it may hinder caster rotation. But it isn't hard to figure out the right tension, just spin the caster.
    I've had these on for about 5-6 weeks and they work great. No hair what so ever. Will save me from having to clean my bearings (Bones swiss ceramics) every month.

I had to tighten mine a hard as I could otherwise they rattle and it did not hinder caster rotation. They spin free.

Definitely recommend these.

Yeah, I have had them for a month now and I am very pleased with them. My casters are still spinning freely and while there is just a little hair wrapped around one, it is just around the shield, so no harm and no ill affect.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Thanks for posting the reviews!!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

We pulled my Frog Shields off today to pull off hair that was wrapped around them. To my surprise, there was hair inside the shield on the bearing; this is a bit disappointing and I am puzzled how it could manage to get in there.

That said, it wasn't a lot and when we popped the cover off and looked at the bearings, they looked great, nice and clean. In the past they would be full of chewed up hair and they would need cleaned and re-lubed. So, overall I am still glad I have them but realize that I will need to clean them out every so often; I am about 10 days away from having them on for 2 months. They are definitely keeping my bearings cleaner and it is easier to remount the casters, but wish no hair made it to the inside.

Thanks for the update. Still haven't bought mine, waiting for HSA account to get caught up.

On another note, I got tired of having trouble with the Allen heads on my axles. Replaced with 8mm hex head bolt and nylon lock nut and it's been working just as well. Able to tighten easily and not causing any binding.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Brianm;1774545]We pulled my Frog Shields off today to pull off hair that was wrapped around them. To my surprise, there was hair inside the shield on the bearing; this is a bit disappointing and I am puzzled how it could manage to get in there.

That said, it wasn't a lot and when we popped the cover off and looked at the bearings, they looked great, nice and clean. In the past they would be full of chewed up hair and they would need cleaned and re-lubed. So, overall I am still glad I have them but realize that I will need to clean them out every so often; I am about 10 days away from having them on for 2 months. They are definitely keeping my bearings cleaner and it is easier to remount the casters, but wish no hair made it to the inside.[/QUOTE

Yeah, I was wondering what would stop hair from just wrapping around the shield. With the torque applied to binding hair while the caster rotates I'm not surprised to hear some gets by the shield. Nice update. Good info.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Finally purchased and installed my set. I wish they had come out with these years ago. Mostly for the fact that I am a C6 quad and assembly is soooo much easier now. Without the shields it was impossible for me to get the collars installed without the assistance of someone else. But with the shields they are much easier to hold everything together and have everything aligned withing the fork. I also decided to replace the standard Allen screw and shaft with a standard 6mm screw and nylock nut. I always felt the button head Allens were at risk of rounding, but no worries about that with the standard hex bolt and nut. I know the reason frog legs uses the button head is to keep it lower profile, but for me the hex is much better in the long run.

While I am unable to change them myself, my dad does it, he wholeheartedly agrees with it being much easier to reinstall the wheels using these, may be worth it just for that. Having used them for many months now, I do get hair inside the shields, how I do not know. That said, the hair appears to stay sandwiched between the inside of the shield and the outside of bearing, rather than getting into the bearings. So, my dad still cleans them out, although less often, and it is easier to do and in the past we had to clean and re-lube the bearings every time.

pics showing new bolts
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Great posts, guys! Thanks )
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>