Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Frog Sheilds for Frog Leg casters

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    On what casters are you planning to use using them? Do you think they'll work on TiLite's performance casters (with R6 bearings)?
    I am using them on my FL casters. I do not think they would work with TiLite LiteSpeed casters, taking a quick look at picture.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I find these interesting, but I've found that the best way to keep hair out is with hair. I just let the hair wind itself into a felted mass around my casters and then just oil the hair to keep things rolling. (It squeaks like a mouse if I don't and scares my wife at night.) It's even worse than this. I kind of like the fact that the hair has a dampening affect on slightly un-level surfaces. [hangs head in shame] I don't have to constantly lock and unlock my brakes to keep from rolling. This TR3 just rolls too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    I find these interesting, but I've found that the best way to keep hair out is with hair. I just let the hair wind itself into a felted mass around my casters and then just oil the hair to keep things rolling. (It squeaks like a mouse if I don't and scares my wife at night.) It's even worse than this. I kind of like the fact that the hair has a dampening affect on slightly un-level surfaces. [hangs head in shame] I don't have to constantly lock and unlock my brakes to keep from rolling. This TR3 just rolls too easily.
    This process is not keeping the hair out. The hair gets into the bearings and dries them out, hence the squeaking noise and why the chair does not roll.

Do the shields spin with the wheel, or are they locked in place by the axle? I just ordered new bearings for my casters. After 4 years of cleaning out hair every 6 months, the bearings are finally shot.

The shields stay in place. (I just got them installed.) It was easier to install the casters with these than with the spacers. I also installed a fresh set of bearings, Bones Super Reds. The cup part rests around the hub and up against the wheel, so there has to be some rubbing, I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I want no hindrance to the wheels spinning. On the other hand, when we spin the wheel, it does spin, not "endlessly", but spins free enough. I should note that these work with the aluminum FL casters; I also have the plastic hub version that we could once get from TiLite, these will not work with those.

Making it 6 moths between cleanings is longer than I could go, but I work from home and pick up every piece of hair my wife loses.

Name:  2015-06-17 (4).jpg
Views: 339
Size:  982.0 KB

Name:  2015-06-17 (5).jpg
Views: 343
Size:  896.2 KB

Name:  2015-06-17 (6).jpg
Views: 338
Size:  838.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    This process is not keeping the hair out. The hair gets into the bearings and dries them out, hence the squeaking noise and why the chair does not roll.
    Actually, my bearings never get hair in them on this chair. They're well sealed with steel seals. The squeaking is from the hair getting so tightly packed against things. Oil or remove the hair and the squeaking goes away--rolls good. Bearings always look great. That hasn't been my experience with other chairs and bearings. Dirt, moisture, and hair have ruined those.

Thanks for the installed pics, Brian
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks for the pics, and also the note about them being easier to install then having to hold the collars in place when re-installing the wheels. That was always the hardest part about cleaning them. The fact that they replace the collars is probably going to be what pushes me to buy them now.

Very cool. Frog Legs does it again but .. I have Unitines. They look great though. Wish I'd had them years ago (the shields).

They are much easier to install Tsquared, you put the shields around the hubs and then slide the caster and shields into place and run axle through, it is easy to hold them all together.

I plan to report back after a month, I generally needed to clean mine out in about a months time. I will say though, after a couple days with them, I am happy with them, no complaints. One thing you have to watch for is to not tighten the screws down to tight, otherwise it may hinder caster rotation. But it isn't hard to figure out the right tension, just spin the caster.

I cannot see how hair would get into the bearings with these, which is awesome. I will be curious if I still get hair wrapped around the shield, I hope not. By now I would already have hair collecting around the spacers; I do not have hair collecting around the shields at this point.
    Last edited by Brianm; 06-19-2015 at 05:47 PM.