Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Frog Sheilds for Frog Leg casters

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    Do you have an HSA or FSA? I know $ is still, but I used my HSA to get reimbursed for mine, makes me feel better about it at least. After seeing JSChism's idea, if push came to shove I'm sure someone could glue one of the original collars to a pop bottle cap with a hole in it. Good luck in whatever path you choose!
    You don't need to glue it, just drill the hole big enough to slide over the spacers. It has to float freely over the bearing cup on the wheel or it will cause drag. It is simply nothing but a loose fitting cover to keep crap out of the bearing. I have noticed it will collect a hair and there in between the cap and my fork, but since nothing there is actually turning, it isn't wrapping up and it will easily just pull right off.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    You don't need to glue it, just drill the hole big enough to slide over the spacers. It has to float freely over the bearing cup on the wheel or it will cause drag. It is simply nothing but a loose fitting cover to keep crap out of the bearing. I have noticed it will collect a hair and there in between the cap and my fork, but since nothing there is actually turning, it isn't wrapping up and it will easily just pull right off.
    I was coming from the perspective of gluing the collar to the cap so that it would all assemble easier and be basically identical to the frog shields. With loose collars and my quad hands I'd be right back to needing assistance in reassembly every time. I won't be needing to do this anyway, just making suggestions for any future readers. As long as the cap is not tight on the hub of the wheel, just like an actual frog shield, there would be no additional friction. Great feedback still!

Do you have an HSA or FSA? I know $ is still, but I used my HSA to get reimbursed for mine, makes me feel better about it at least. After seeing JSChism's idea, if push came to shove I'm sure someone could glue one of the original collars to a pop bottle cap with a hole in it. Good luck in whatever path you choose!
    Unfortunately I don't, but after changing the shields I had a lot of hair. Though they are finally gone
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Thanks for the update. Still haven't bought mine, waiting for HSA account to get caught up.

On another note, I got tired of having trouble with the Allen heads on my axles. Replaced with 8mm hex head bolt and nylon lock nut and it's been working just as well. Able to tighten easily and not causing any binding.
    I like that idea! On my chair about to be ordered, I decided on FL instead of new Out-Front Glide suspension forks after having a chance to try them. TiLite used to offer FL, but now that they are selling Glide it is not available directly through them. Glide worked great outdoors, but indoor footprint was uncomfortably large for me.

reporting back

Here is how much hair built up after about 3 months of use. IMO the frog shields have zero to little effect on how much hair gets wrapped up in the casters and bearings. But they make the assembly so much easier, which makes me more likely to clean them often, which helps my bearings last longer. So I still feel they are 100% worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think to be fair, one would need to see what you were getting every three months prior to installing them. When I was using them, I too was getting hair behind them, but found it to be far less than without them. So, while I still had to clean them out, it was less often.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I think to be fair, one would need to see what you were getting every three months prior to installing them. When I was using them, I too was getting hair behind them, but found it to be far less than without them. So, while I still had to clean them out, it was less often.
    I agree, to be completely conclusive, one would have to do an exact comparison with and without the frog shields. I didn't do that which is why I used "IMO" and "little to zero" in my language. I wasn't being absolute and am leaving it open to debate. Just my observations and opinion so I'd still consider that being fair. And either way, you can't take their words as being completely accurate here in their last sentence of the main paragraph: http://froglegsinc.com/products/frog-shield because you still do have to tweeze, hair still gets caught in the bearings, and they still get nasty.

But I'd still recommend them to anyone interested in them.

We finally got some of these and they are great! A little hair still makes it in, but nowhere near as much as before. And I agree with others that they are much easier to install than spacers.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Smile

....... Without the shields it was impossible for me to get the collars installed without the assistance of someone else. But with the shields they are much easier to hold everything together and have everything aligned withing the fork. ......

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    I kind of feel ripped off by the shipping price. The only option I could choose is 2 shipping which was $10 via PayPal
    $39.99 of these shields plus shipping seems reasonable to me and a waste of money. By what has been said by those who have them the hair still gathers and gets by to the bearing.
    If hair causes such a problem it indicates that more frequent use of a vacuum cleaner is required, or a better vac.
    Maybe brush the dog more frequently (outside) and get the women to do the same; not necessarily outside AND demand that she clean up after rather than leaving the hair on the floor to distribute through the house.
    From my perspective it appears that if you want to treat the symptom and not the cause you should buy a set.
    I clean my caster wheels maybe every 3-4 months not because of binding or excess but as a routine. The dog stays outside- the hair is my wifes'. I daren't demand that she cleans up

The wheel cleaning is not a big chore for me as I have good hand function and I appreciate that some do not.
    Getting those damned spacers in place can be entertaining and would more often frustrate the bejeezuz out of me.

Re Tsquared. Here is the work around that I have used of recent times.
    I have a length of stock (cut bolt dummy axle) that is just short of the total width of the wheel+spacers. It is chamfered at both ends. The wheel, spacers and dummy axle are
    pre-assembled and offered up to the caster fork then when lined up close enough, the dummy axle is pushed part through with my Phillips screwdriver (easier to hold).
    Finger on one side of the fork to prevent the axle passing further makes it easy as then the whole assembly is secure in place.
    Now we have the wheel assembly located, it is an easy job to install and slide the axle through then attach the button head machine screw, or bolt if that is what you use.
    Proceed to the next wheel.
    I don't know if I am preaching to the converted but that is how I have come to do this chore with relative ease.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 09-10-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    The shields stay in place. (I just got them installed.) .....The cup part rests around the hub and up against the wheel, so there has to be some rubbing, ....... On the other hand, when we spin the wheel, it does spin, not "endlessly", but spins free enough. ...
    Making it 6 moths between cleanings is longer than I could go, but I work from home and pick up every piece of hair my wife loses.
    I have no experience of using these shields and doubt that I will, ever.
    From Brianms' image I could not determine if they are a shield with integral spacer that bears solely on the bearing inner race.
    If they are, I take it all back

From Brianms' post
    The cup part rests around the hub and up against the wheel, so there has to be some rubbing, I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I want no hindrance to the wheels spinning. On the other hand, when we spin the wheel, it does spin, not "endlessly", but spins free enough.
    Assuming that they do not have a dedicated integral spacer consider this.

IMO if these shields are a solution to a problem, are designed to be used without wheel spacers and appear to not bear directly on the inner bearing race, they are a piss poor design and ill considered. Using these shields would mean there is no end load on the bearing inner race.
    Remember here that the correct construction of the castor assembly is spacer, inner bearing race, spacer, inner bearing race, spacer all tied in between the castor fork arms. The wheel is supposed to be constrained and rotate about this assembly in a fixed plain, no float except for what the bearing running clearance allows.
    With these shields, the wheel and shields with appropriate fastenings is all that governs the axial movement. Haphazard, sloppy engineering.
    Lets not mention the inevitable wear that will occur on the fork legs and wheel boss over time further aided by the hair that still gets by.
    Along with that, the bearings would float along the axle and that will likely cause wear on the axle and the alloy bore of the wheel.
    A nice earner for the wheel manufacturer?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 09-10-2019 at 08:32 AM.