Thread: Flying questions

Flying questions

I have taken several long distance flights, and as a high level quad who would be dependent upon others to assist with weight shifts, I've always been concerned about doing adequate weight shifts when on a plane. I am curious what other high-level quads have done for weight shifts on flights?

Also, I use a ROHO high-profile, which I believe is 22x18, too big to lay flat on an airline seat. Would I be better to buy a smaller ROHO for such purposes, or are there better options. I'd hate to have to take 2 ROHO's on a trip.

How do you deal with your Roho regarding ascent/descent? Zero to 36000' doesn't do them any favors

I've always let out a little air, though I'm not sure how much it is impacted since the cabin is pressurized. I carry my pump with me if it needs to be inflated.

Most airplane cabins are not pressurized to sea level pressures, but more likely at about the same as 5500-6000 ft. altitude, so you may need to adjust your Roho if you are flying to/from close to sea level. If you are flying from Denver, you may need to do it the reverse!!

(KLD)

Last few times I've flown my 18x18" roho hasn't fit in the seats. Seams that more airlines are going with 17" seats in newer planes. I have a 16x16" I use for flights longer than an hour. After flights I fully deflate it and put in backpack since won't need it until return flight. Just make sure to pack an air pump to reinflate it!

Sorry to derail this thread slightly but I am travelling in a few weeks and I have a Jay Fusion with ROHO insert and I am wondering if I need to deflate the air out of it before travelling? Will the pressure in the cabin affect it at all? I wont be sitting on it but plan on taking it on the plane so it doesn't go missing.

Quote Originally Posted by pensfan87 View Post
    Sorry to derail this thread slightly but I am travelling in a few weeks and I have a Jay Fusion with ROHO insert and I am wondering if I need to deflate the air out of it before traveling? Will the pressure in the cabin affect it at all? I wont be sitting on it but plan on taking it on the plane so it doesn't go missing.
    I've been using Roho for years and I fly a lot (I'm Euro Trash) but I live in the States. Years ago after switching to Roho, I took a flight and realized at 36k feet that my Roho was about to explode. Been very careful since but even driving from the coast up to 1800' elevation you have to adjust cushion. I've had several cushions seperate over time, I would highly advise monitoring its pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    I've been using Roho for years and I fly a lot (I'm Euro Trash) but I live in the States. Years ago after switching to Roho, I took a flight and realized at 36k feet that my Roho was about to explode. Been very careful since but even driving from the coast up to 1800' elevation you have to adjust cushion. I've had several cushions seperate over time, I would highly advise monitoring its pressure.
    Okay, look air pressure at sea level is 14.9 PSI and at 5000 feet (which is what airplanes are pressurized at) it is 84% of sea level for a total external PSI difference of 2.31 PSI. I have no idea what PSI your ROHO is but I really doubt that a delta of 2.3 PSI is going to make it explode. Also btw that mean even if your chair is stored in an "unpressized" luggage comparment and the plane goes to outerspace the max pressure delta is 14 PSI (which since planes don't go to outerspace means that you may get a 10PSI delta on your tires flying). So it is easy math (there is even a website http://www.altitude.org/air_pressure.php) but the reality is you don't need to be overly worried about air pressure when you fly.

So just to make things clear... I wrote that last post in 30 seconds as I was leaving for work. I should have used the word "burst" instead of explode etc etc
    However, all your fancy math aside, I am going by experience and not science. I'm not saying I'm correct and I have no plans on entering a pissing match. I am saying that my experiences lead me to deflate my roho bit by bit on a climb and I re inflate on the descent. Also when driving over mountain ranges, I open the valve and re inflate when I reach my destination. Perhaps someone from roho will jump in and let us know what's best but until then, I will continue with my methods as to avoid premature separation on a newer cushion. This has happened on a couple of my cushions which may have something or nothing to do with over inflation

Have a nice day and no one likes a smart arse

roller

What about staying upright in the chair. As a C5/6 I have issues with balance, and lately it's been getting worse. I've had to get laterals because of some balance issues.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace