Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Screw elevator install, build 9 ft ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Good ol' Google.
    But I just can't see that wormscrew running a platform up 9ft., or if it could I wouldn't want to be on that wobbly thing.
    The better elevators use a combo mechanical hydraulic design. It's ok, but the doors are typically the weak link.
    They are surprisingly durable. I have a Saviaria brand worm-screw lift sitting in my back yard for the last 13 years, and mechanically, no troubles with the concept with daily usage. It is set up to run maybe 4 feet, but the unit itself can do 8 feet or so if my eyeball is looking at it correctly. Might be noisy for in-home usage, but if you don't care for fancy whisper quiet...might be a cheaper alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    They are surprisingly durable. I have a Saviaria brand worm-screw lift sitting in my back yard for the last 13 years, and mechanically, no troubles with the concept with daily usage. It is set up to run maybe 4 feet, but the unit itself can do 8 feet or so if my eyeball is looking at it correctly. Might be noisy for in-home usage, but if you don't care for fancy whisper quiet...might be a cheaper alternative.
    As Andy stated it is very stable and a little noisy. I have a short one outside that gets me to the back porch its a 3 foot ride and the one in the house is a 10ft ride.
    The only issue I have with the 10ft trip is that it takes 1 minute to get to the basement.

If I had a bunch of money I would have done an elevator but 30k + I didn't have and the 7K I spent for the lift seemed in budget.

I picked this machine up for $1200.
    I know you're a quad and it probably won't work for you, but I DO like to brag!!

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    The only issue I have with the 10ft trip is that it takes 1 minute to get to the basement. .
    I know where you're coming from on that, lol. When I initially got mine, I was determined to make that trip faster (especially in the rain, etc). I changed the 1750rpm motor for a 3450rpm variant. Made it move much better for sure, the only problem was starting torque wasn't as good as a slower one with more magnetic flip/flops per rotation angle, so with me on it...never started. In the end I put a larger sheave on the original motor to speed up the travel, that knocked several seconds off the travel time, but I would still like that sucker to move faster.

I do notice that the current version of my lift has a 1hp motor on it, while mine has a 3/4 hp motor. I can see where this would help in cold weather, as below 10F or so, starting the lift gets...interesting. I need to warm it up a little with no load before it will start with me on it. If it is below 0 to -5F, it refuses to do anything. Maybe my larger pulley on the motor might have something to do with that, but I think the manufacturer found the error in the design and made the change...especially considering the rated load capacity of the lift. Maybe if I try a fast motor in 1hp rating my original speedup project might have success, but I suspect that in cold that thing would be unusable with that type of motor considering how a slow motor has starting issues with the grease on the mechanics getting solidified in cold, etc.

Name:  liftmotor.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  193.8 KB
    Last edited by Andy; 06-12-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I picked this machine up for $1200.
    I know you're a quad and it probably won't work for you, but I DO like to brag!!
    Very neat!

Andy I thought about speeding mine up also but was told by the mfr that it would creat more wear on the brass nut that runs up and down the worm gear.
    I'm not sure if he is right but if I could speed mine up that would be awesome.

Also mine is direct drive no belts just a shaft from the motor to the gear

Quote; "I thought about speeding mine up also but was told by the mfr that it would creat more wear on the brass nut that runs up and down the worm gear".

Does the manufacturer advise any lubricant for this nut; for example graphite?

Just curious !

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    Quote; "I thought about speeding mine up also but was told by the mfr that it would creat more wear on the brass nut that runs up and down the worm gear".

Does the manufacturer advise any lubricant for this nut; for example graphite?

Just curious !

They just say it should be greased.

Saw this re indoor ramp. Nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    They just say it should be greased.
    I see this thread got bumped from the dead, so I thought I'd add some more about that Acme screw drive lift I have. Previously I commented on cold weather usage and balkiness of the lift. After a particularly cold winter, last summer a buddy and I cleaned off all the grease out of the screw and bearings, washing the mess down with brake cleaner for as little grease residue as possible. This was to test a theory that my usage of ordinary automotive chassis grease was at fault for cold weather starting issues. The unit was re-greased with fancy airplane grease, specifically AeroShell 64. This is a soap based grease to address any incompatibility issues with any remaining automotive grease and introduction of an aeronautical type grease, and is a low viscosity type when cold.

Anyway, testing last night when I got home from work at -2F showed that this really did the trick. So if you are doing any sort of lubrication on a screw lift used in cold weather...get fancy!