Thread: Any wheelchair user Uber drivers out there???

Any wheelchair user Uber drivers out there???

I used uber yesterday, was really impressed by my experience and the ease of use. I'm a para but there was no issue with my chair or anything else.
    I just wondered if there are any para or wheelchair users out there working as uber drivers? If so, what about your wheelchair?

cheers,
    roller

Roller,

I apologize from straying from the main question of your post. May I ask you a few questions about your Uber travels?

What type of vehicle did they send for you? Do you use a folding or rigid wheelchair? Did the driver assist you with transfers and wc storage?

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    Roller,

I apologize from straying from the main question of your post. May I ask you a few questions about your Uber travels?

What type of vehicle did they send for you? Do you use a folding or rigid wheelchair? Did the driver assist you with transfers and wc storage?
    There and back were both Honda Accords. I use a rigid chair. I don't need any assistance for transfers. I had a mate with me, I pulled the chair apart and put it together, she threw it all in the trunk. Drivers were both cool young guys and I bet had I asked, they would have put frame in trunk. You can request SUV or whatever, we went with most basic as it is cheapest. Though our ride home was free as it was my first uber request, it showed as less than $17 before being cancelled. I never use taxis in the U.S. as they're such a rip off, I bet there and back in a taxi would have been best part of hundred bucs

Here's the kicker with uber driving and insurance. Most insurance companies will not insure them on a personal line policy. And they will cancel you if they get any idea you are a driver. And if you call to fine out if your policy is acceptable they may cancel you just for looking into it.

Other than the excess wear and tear turning you car into a public taxi, the insurance issues already mentioned, random accusations leading to months of false incarceration http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...406-story.html , rocks being dropped though your sunroof leading to shootings http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...609-story.html , and I'm sure all sorts of interesting experiences you might get being a taxi driver minus the taxi...sounds like a great gig!

I've always lived in the mindset of "for every hurdle, there's a solution" not the vice versa

I use UberX 3-5 time a week. I have a rigid Quickie GT. I don't need help with transfers and the drivers put the chair in the trunk normally or in the backseat if it doesn't fit. I imagine drivers will complain if they have to help you transfer but I have had some drivers ask if I need help. Uber drivers are much more responsive and helpful than taxi drivers.
    Never Give Up!