Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shoulder impingement...cortisone shot?

I'm happy to say that the shot has significantly helped my shoulder pain. It's been about 2 1/2 weeks and while it still clicks a little bit, having very little pain. Now let's hope it stays this way! At least for a good 8-12 months.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

That is great. Much like my experience with the injections. It is critical for you to remember that although the pain is diminished you have a very fragile joint. Treat it like you want it to last. If you have not done it yet, read the manual linked to the S.O,.S. below.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

hmm..with all of the success...I wonder why mine did not help? Maybe I need to think about trying it again.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    hmm..with all of the success...I wonder why mine did not help? Maybe I need to think about trying it again.
    Sometimes the problem is misdiagnosed. But this is one of those procedures that is best done by very experienced physicians. Most physicians are "qualified" to do the injections but those like family practitioners only do them occasionally. Consequently, they may miss the targeted area. The likelihood of success is increased if the injection is done by physicians who have a sports medicine practice or orthopedic surgeons who specialize with shoulder problems.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Sometimes the problem is misdiagnosed. But this is one of those procedures that is best done by very experienced physicians. Most physicians are "qualified" to do the injections but those like family practitioners only do them occasionally. Consequently, they may miss the targeted area. The likelihood of success is increased if the injection is done by physicians who have a sports medicine practice or orthopedic surgeons who specialize with shoulder problems.
    I actually had it done by my physiatrist (sp?). He has given me other shots for other things (tendonitis in my elbows mainly) and those worked wonders. This was the only one that did not. It was several years ago...so maybe I try once again.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Check out the article in latest New Mobility about non-surgical alternatives to shoulder issues. The individual's own blood is centrifuged to separate blood plasma and plasma is injected into tears to promote healing. It's called PRP therapy and sounds very impressive. Article is by Bob Vogel.

Thanks for the resource 55. I got a small taste of what it would be like without shoulder usage for the 2 days it was sore. That would be very bad if it got anything like that long term. I'll keep giving an update as time passes, and when/if I need another shot.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Quote Originally Posted by divin'darren View Post
    Ok so I'm about 5 days past when I had the cortisone. It was quite sore for a few days. The next day I could barely transfer and could feel some soreness all the way up until yesterday. So now I can kind of feel if it has had any effects.

It still clicks and pops a little, I wasn't really expecting that to change right away or at all, but I think there is a bit of improvement. The easiest thing to tell is that I'd sometimes get pain while pressing downward while in bed on my stomach, to either roll over or change positions. I'm not really getting that pain right now. I've been a bit cautious but it does feel better. I'll give another update in a few days or a week.

Have you seen a PT or OT at all about this? I work closely with my PT, and we've done a lot to work on improving my shoulder mechanics. My lats are frequently tight, and they pull my scapulae down. Muscle energy techniques and specific strength training has helped me. I have a non-Union shoulder separation, and a poorly aligned elbow (both from my original injury), so some things just can't be helped. Having an expert look at your mechanics and make recommendations is a good idea (frequently orthopedic physicians and physiatrists are not experts in mechanics - but some are).

Cortisone shot ok but you need to see Physical Therapist- and get exercises etc.. that might help it from worsening and may even get better. With neck/shoulder muscles weak you shoulders tend to hunch forward and down and cause the problem. CWO