Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: If you're looking for a tire inflator/air compressor - save some money

  1. #1

    If you're looking for a tire inflator/air compressor - save some money

    Just wanted to pass this along. The air compressor I bought years ago from Sportaid: http://www.sportaid.com/sportaid-cc2...ompressor.html worked great until a couple of weeks ago. Battery wouldn't charge and just overheated the AC/DC adapter. $89 on Sportaid's site.

    Same one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausf.../dp/B000KL0HX4 at about $57

    I bought the Slime version and it is EXACTLY the same. Same form factor and all, just has a Slime sticker on it. Even uses the same brand wall adapter that my last one from Sportaid had. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00 $35

  2. #2
    I have a small tire inflator/air compressor made by Black and Decker that my local hardware store ordered for me. It is a family owned business and very friendly someone took the time to set down and look online at a catalogue until they found some that sounded like what I was talking about. It has a dial feature where you preset the psi you want to inflate the tire to. Then when you turn it on it stops automatically when it hits the right amount of air pressure. One of the side benefits is if you dial it down to 5 psi and stick the ball inflator needle in you can use the device to clean out your keyboard by sticking the ball needle in and out of the keyboard. I have seen a ton more crumbs fly out of a keyboard using the compressor than when using a can of compressed air.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    Just wanted to pass this along. The air compressor I bought years ago from Sportaid: http://www.sportaid.com/sportaid-cc2...ompressor.html worked great until a couple of weeks ago. Battery wouldn't charge and just overheated the AC/DC adapter. $89 on Sportaid's site.

    Same one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausf.../dp/B000KL0HX4 at about $57

    I bought the Slime version and it is EXACTLY the same. Same form factor and all, just has a Slime sticker on it. Even uses the same brand wall adapter that my last one from Sportaid had. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00 $35
    I had a similar battery type charger in the past, but it never really inflated to high enough pressure for me. Does the pump you listed hit 140ish psi? (in my experience the PSI rating on pumps is meaningless, the last pump I bought was rated to 160 psi, but can't get over 90)

  4. #4
    I use a Bostich CAP 1512. It's rated at 2.8cfm @90psi, 150psi maximum. It will reach 150psi. It's about $100 on Amazon. It's AC only--mine is 110VAC. Convenient. I set the tank at my target tire pressure and just hold the chuck on until the needle quits moving.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    I use a Bostich CAP 1512. It's rated at 2.8cfm @90psi, 150psi maximum. It will reach 150psi. It's about $100 on Amazon. It's AC only--mine is 110VAC. Convenient. I set the tank at my target tire pressure and just hold the chuck on until the needle quits moving.
    I own this one, too - for my 100 psi trim nailer - never thought of using it for my tires.

    It's a great little compressor, but noisy like all compressors.

    I use a Serfas floor pump for my tires.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

    "I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    381
    Well, I guess I paid too much. I bought this from Amazon a few months ago. It's a good compressor - nice and portable, and I can get my tires up to 140 with it no problem.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sowseng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts
    981
    Name:  air pressure pump.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  123.1 KB

    I have been using this for 2 years, satisfy, up to 145 psi easily.
    But I burn the fuse of my car, so I bought an adapter to use it in house.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I had a similar battery type charger in the past, but it never really inflated to high enough pressure for me. Does the pump you listed hit 140ish psi? (in my experience the PSI rating on pumps is meaningless, the last pump I bought was rated to 160 psi, but can't get over 90)
    Yes, 140 is my handcycle tires, which I know it hits because I just pumped them last night. I run chair tires at 120. I seriously doubt it can hit the 230 it advertises, but I know I've gone up to 150 with no problem. I have 30 gallon and 5 gallon compressors in the garage and they'll do 150, but the convenience of a battery chargeable is awesome. I did some reading online and the consensus is that ~4 yrs is the battery life on these. Whereas the Bostich or other similar compressors will last way beyond that.

  9. #9
    Senior Member forestranger52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Posts
    1,643
    There are a lot of problems associated with the small compressors. First, the batteries wear out like Tman says in 4 or 5 years, most don't have fuses so when they run hot (as most do) their shot, the hose connection to the compressor melts pretty quickly and the the ones that clamp onto the tire stem just suck plus are difficult to connect.
    Much better off purchasing an oil-lubed one as their much quieter and last significantly longer than the oil-less ones like the ear-shattering Porter-Cable pancake compressors. A good one is a Craftsman 3 gallon oil-lubed 135psi with a cast-iron cylinder and piston plus a 1 hp motor for $100. These types are relatively small, about 20 inches in length and one can always get parts for the Craftsman's. There are a lot of different connectors for these types.

    You would be best to avoid the types sold by Home Depot or Lowes because brands like Husky and such change models like most folks change underwear.

    Plus if you ever want to run tools like air nailer's and stud guns or blow up small rafts or car/truck tires they work. If you have a little more room you can also buy a larger 7 gallon Craftsman for $117 that has wheels.

    Had the orange Black and Decker and that failed almost immediately and the Campbell-Hausfeld 120 volt Home Inflation System with fuse and important cooling fan (Amazon $41) which is very small and still use but it has the crappy clamp-on connector.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 06-12-2015 at 05:58 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

    Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

    Teddy Roosevelt

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Name:  air pressure pump.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  123.1 KB

    I have been using this for 2 years, satisfy, up to 145 psi easily.
    But I burn the fuse of my car, so I bought an adapter to use it in house.
    Where'd you get that rig sowseng?

Similar Threads

  1. Prestaflator Tire Inflator Tool
    By Skogy in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 08:10 AM
  2. What I did to save money
    By Cris in forum Life
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 06:08 PM
  3. Vitamins to Save Eyes Could Save Money, Too -Study
    By Max in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2002, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •