Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quadriplegic lifespan

Cynthia, I have a former patient that I am still in touch with who had a C2 injury in 1978. He is vent dependent, his health is very good, and he leads an active life.

(KLD)

DH was 25 years out yesterday, C5 complete, happy, healthy, and thriving. I know he follows all the advice given here, diet, exercise, plenty of sleep, things to keep the mind sharp and water, drink lots and lots of water. I agree with everyone who has said not to focus on the charts or statistics, help her focus on staying healthy.

Blog Entries
    Speaking of ancient history, when I was injured, the Browns were the reigning NFL champs.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Cynthia, I have a former patient that I am still in touch with who had a C2 injury in 1978. He is vent dependent, his health is very good, and he leads an active life.

(KLD)
    Wish there was a like button!!

i'm 58, c5-6 complete since 1978, 37 yrs

I have been a C-6 complete quad for 43 years. I have had a few near-death experiences from pneumonia, autonomic dysreflexia and UTI's. Keeping the skin, lungs, heart and urinary tract healthy will add years, even decades to the SCI life span.

"Speaking of ancient history, when I was injured, the Browns were the reigning NFL champs"

Dude....that is almost "fossil status"!
    Speaks well for you....
    Last edited by graybeard; 07-02-2015 at 02:52 PM. Reason: feebed on techniques....

Recently lost a friend a C6 quad paralysed in the mid 70's; he was 68 at his passing.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-quic...old-1436808166

Most of the study participants aged one biological year for each chronological year. Some, however, put on as much as three biological years for every one year, while others didn?t increase in biological age at all during the 12-year span the study surveyed. Using a subset of the biomarkers, the researchers calculated that at 38 years old, the participants? biological ages ranged from 28 to 61.