Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quadriplegic lifespan

Quadriplegic lifespan

I am sorry for posting this as it's a sensitive subject for me and for many people. But I am wondering about the average life span of someone with Quadriplegia at a lower level. My daughter is 25 and C7, she has lived with her injury for three years, and I wonder how long she will live.

https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/life-expectancy.aspx

"The plural of anecdote is data".
    ~Raymond Wolfinger
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 06-07-2015 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine1965 View Post
    I am sorry for posting this as it's a sensitive subject for me and for many people. But I am wondering about the average life span of someone with Quadriplegia at a lower level. My daughter is 25 and C7, she has lived with her injury for three years, and I wonder how long she will live.
    don't let the stats fool you, there is quads here that have been in chairs for 30-40 years, as long as your daughter gets exercise and follows a good diet she will live looong time. C7 is good because she can work out her upper body. Cheers
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

You can also look at this table. Remember that statistical information is not prescriptive. Many people live longer than the numbers shown...esp. if they take very good care of themselves. Many never reach these numbers.

https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/PublicDoc...cts%202015.pdf

(KLD)

SCI 55 is a quad celebrating his 60th anniversary as a quad. Mac kind of says it all. Work hard, exercise and live life. She's young and not injured that long; lot's of innovations will be coming her way so she should be maximizing her potential for when they do come about. Relax mom, she'll trustfully outlive the both of us.

I am 52 with 34 years of living with a SCI. I think having a reason to get out of bed each day contributes to longevity.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

A healthy lifestyle like a healthy diet, regular exercise, keeping our mind busy and healthy, can help us live a normal life. But we have to keep in mind that there will be a treatment in the following years and this is an other reason to stay in good shape

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    I'm 60 years old, and 37 yrs post-injury - c5-6 complete. I own and operate GO! Mobility Solutions and work 7 days-a-week and do a substantial amount of traveling. Live healthy (I didn't for a long crazy youth), live long and prosper! BTW, one little secret, spasticity may be uncomfortable and annoying but it is "active" exercise. Let her put up with it if she can. It kept my muscles toned for years.

best,

rick
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

As has been pointed out, stats are not a good life expectancy indicator for a number of reasons. Most of all they are based upon people who were injured and treated in an earlier medical era. Many things affecting the life expectancy of SCIs change with time, some for better, some for worse. As has been mentioned, I am a C-7 compete quad who is more than 60 years post injury and 77 years old. I am not a rarity. I have a number of friends and acquaintances whose cervical injury dates back to the 1950s and 60s. That indicates your daughter has the potential to reach or surpass our longevity. Longevity need not be a sensitive issue when the facts are known.

In closing, I point out the fact that this year my wife and I will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. Although your daughter's life has changed dramatically it is not lost. Over time good things happen as unexpectedly as the bad. Just hang in there with your daughter.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

When I was first injured in 1992 I learned the average life span for a vent dependent quad was 15 years. Back then, 15 years ago was too far off, as I was very depressed and did not want to live. The 21st of this month I will reach my 23rd year of "quadness." I'm happy to be alive and healthy!!