Thread: Colostomy Recovery & Transfers?

Colostomy Recovery & Transfers?

I have finally decided to pull the trigger and have a colostomy done.

My current concern is after the surgery and how quickly I can get back to normal transfers. My transfers are typical, slide my butt on the mattress, hook my wrists under my knees, then pull my knees toward my chest curling me into a ball. This is the only way I can do it independently. I am worried that when I curl into that ball position, I might cause internal pressure from my diaphragm and organs pushing outward on the surgical site. My doctor, who has an excellent reputation amongst the gastrointestinal medical community, and has been an excellent listener, doesn't necessarily have a lot of experience with spinal cord injury patients. He told me not to worry, and that I would be discharged between one and three days depending on how quickly I start to pass gas and stool. I had asked him if I should stay in the hospital an extra day or two given my concern about transferring and moving around, but he told me just to go about my daily life and not to worry about it.

Has anyone here who has gone through the surgery had any issues based with what I'm describing? How quickly were you transferring independently again without issue? Thank you very much!
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Depending upon the surgical approach done for this, and the incisions you have, your physician should weigh in more on how these incisions may be stressed by your current transfer techniques. Our surgeons do not like you doing transfers that elongate the trunk for at least 2 weeks post-op. An abdominal binder can help to support the incision area, but you may need to do transfers in the hospital with a lift (highly recommended) and consider getting a lift (rent) for use at home initially as well.

(KLD)

Wow. I have none of that place, my surgery is on the 12th. It's going to be a lathroscopic procedure, so I guess the incision is minimally invasive for what the surgery is? Do you mean a Hoyer lift? Or are there others? I don't see how that thing would fit in my room based on the ones I've seen.

And when you say elongate the trunk, in my mind I'm visualizing somebody stretching out their abdomen long ways as if they were laying down or hanging from a chin up bar. However, when I transfer, it's generally the opposite.
    Last edited by Rrrrronnn; 06-06-2015 at 07:37 PM.
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Knowing your level would be helpful i am a t6 incomplete and i was not allowed to transfer for almost 2 weeks after my urostomy however i also had an open procedure done. Alot will depend on how it is done as KLD has said. And surgeon preferences. Also i would expect a much longer stay than 3 days i didn't start to pass gas till almost the 5th day.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I didn't pass stool untill I went home on the 6th day. Transfer on that and went back to work on the 9th day.

Thanks KLD, Smashms, and Rainman...

Rainman, what type of incision did they do?

I had my sigmoid loop done about 5 years ago. Was outof the hospital i three days and transferring right away with no restrictions. The only thing that really surprised me was the first time I had a bm. The gas and stool that came out was a lot. The force from the gas actually tore the bag right off. They must force the stool etc up with air for a clean passage way or something. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrrronnn View Post
    Thanks KLD, Smashms, and Rainman...

Rainman, what type of incision did they do?
    Sigmoid loop.

I'm thinking of having a colostomy done also. Any regrets? Problems?