Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Titanium vs Aluminium.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    It would be a lot easier on aluminum than titanium, which I know some folks have done. Bare aluminum would be incredibly soft and scratch prone. I didn't even know unfinished/satin/bead blasted aluminum was an option. I've seen clear coating on aluminum, but not unfinished. It would oxidize and get powdery, I think.
    Nope, both of my chairs are raw uncoated aluminum and no issues. The oxidative layer is very thin and just makes it slightly dull while the wear points stay very shiny. I get a bit of a black smudge in a very small spot on the sides of my legs when wearing shorts where my legs rub the front tubes but that's it.
    T4 Complete since 01/01/2012

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmorris View Post
    Nope, both of my chairs are raw uncoated aluminum and no issues. The oxidative layer is very thin and just makes it slightly dull while the wear points stay very shiny. I get a bit of a black smudge in a very small spot on the sides of my legs when wearing shorts where my legs rub the front tubes but that's it.
    Ahhh, gotcha. fwiw, I'd consider black smudges rubbing off my chair on to me an issue, but it takes all kinds!

A thin layer of oxidization is almost like a finish in itself.

Does it pick up scratches easily? What Al alloy and temper do you use? Assuming this is a custom...of course.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by gmorris View Post
    I wonder if the automotive aluminum polish would minimize the oxidation/residue? It's supposed to work on car wheels. Hmm