Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't buy an Invacare Storm TDX

Don't buy an Invacare Storm TDX

My Storm TDX is a comfortable chair and great for indoors, but don't go outside in it. This chair has no traction on uneven or wet surfaces. It's sad when the chair won't even go up a wet (yes wet, not snow or ice covered) curb cut. There you are, left hanging in the roadway because this sorry chair was engineered poorly. And forget about making any kind of a turn while going through and stones or dirt. Once all of the supporting four casters turn, the drive wheels can't overcome the resistance and there you sit again. My provider has tried to adjust the casters, but with negative results.

The chair does have good power and torque and is excellant on dry, flat surfaces.

If anyone has a TDX and knows how to adjust this thing PLEASE let me know. Or if anyone has any idea on where I can store a tow-rope (haha) on this chair that would be good too.

Did you ever get the TDX to perform better on wet surfaces? Is it the design itself or just a matter of proper adjustments?

I'm reconsidering my decision to go w/a Blast 850 (rear-wheel drive) because it may be too big to maneuver through some tight turns in my new place. I understand that mid-wheel drive chairs are much easier to maneuver, and I assume the TDX5 is top of the line mid-wheel at Invacare. I do a fair amount of travel on city streets, however, and I don't want to get hung up on something as minor as a wet curb cut.

By the way, how much easier is it to negotiate tight turns in the TDX than it is in a rear-wheel drive? I've been condo-shopping in my P-200, which is a pretty small chair that turns on a dime. Is it fair to assume that the TDX will be able to handle turns that my P-200 can't?

My Invacare Storm TDX 5 is great! I live in northern Alberta, Canada and mine is awesome outside. Where I live I am 4 miles from the nearest pavement and that is a highway and the Storm TDX seems to handle it very well. Going thru snow is a breeze. All I have to do is tilt my chair back a bit and I'm a full blown 4 x 4 . I haven't made any adjustments to it since I bought it. Maybe I drive it differently, because most of the time I drive it like I stole it .

My TDX 5 is very good, just stay off of wet grass/mud or you will be grounded. No extra torque, no matter what setting.

To date I have had no issues with light snow.

J.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by MZack
    Did you ever get the TDX to perform better on wet surfaces? Is it the design itself or just a matter of proper adjustments?

I'm reconsidering my decision to go w/a Blast 850 (rear-wheel drive) because it may be too big to maneuver through some tight turns in my new place. I understand that mid-wheel drive chairs are much easier to maneuver, and I assume the TDX5 is top of the line mid-wheel at Invacare. I do a fair amount of travel on city streets, however, and I don't want to get hung up on something as minor as a wet curb cut.

By the way, how much easier is it to negotiate tight turns in the TDX than it is in a rear-wheel drive? I've been condo-shopping in my P-200, which is a pretty small chair that turns on a dime. Is it fair to assume that the TDX will be able to handle turns that my P-200 can't?
    I have a TDX5 and am very pleased with it (after I reprogrammed it, of course). The TDX will "turn on a dime" (any CWD chair will) and plenty of tourque. If you're interested in CWD chairs then take a look at the TDX5. Another possibility is a new chair from Quantum Rehab, the Q6 http://www.pridemobility.com/quantum/. I saw it at MedTrade today and it looks pretty impressive (I also saw the latest TDX5 and was also impressed ). Good luck and make sure you purchase a programmer no matter what chair you buy .

I unfortunately have had similar problems with the TDX3. I was talked into it, as all I needed was a new seating system for my old rear wheel drive. I find that it is great indoor with a really good radius of turn. But outside, it is a total pain in the butt! I get stuck easily and now if I am going to do any serious outside stuff, I get transferred to my rear wheel drive. I then can do my outdoor stuff and do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Good luck and make sure you purchase a programmer no matter what chair you buy .
    Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me more about the programmer -- like what it does and why I need one...?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MZack
    Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me more about the programmer -- like what it does and why I need one...?
    The programmer is usually a small unit that plugs into a port on the wheelchair to adjust all the settings that define how your wheelchair drives. On the TDX5 it plugs into the same port you plug in your charger. It's just a serial terminal that communicates with the powerchair controller and costs about $250. It's been my experience that every chair that comes from the manufacturer is setup horribly. When I first get a chair I can hardly drive it -- no torque, "rubber-band" steering, sluggish acceleration, etc. A few minutes with the controller and it's like a different chair. I suspect that some complaints are a result from poor programming.

You can also program how the tilt system works. For example, I have drive 1 & 3 setup to drive with the same parameters that I've found work well for me. I setup drive 2 & 4 to be "no-drive" modes that control the tilt system. So instead of waiting for the controller to go into some wait mode or having to hit a reset switch to activate the tilt, I just push the drive select button once to toggle from drive->tilt->drive->tilt, etc.

I think a programmer should be provided with the cost of the chair, but they're not. Until then, if possible, everyone should get one -- you won't be sorry .

I'm also looking at a TDX5, so this thread is a great help.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Performance Adjustments

I am posting a scan of the performance ajustments for my Invacare RangerX with MKV electronics. I think the TDX5 has the same electronics. Anyway TDX5 should have similar adjustments for each mode on the joystick. Hope this may be of some help. I had to take my chair to the dealer for programing. I would like to know how to get a programmer of my own. They seem to be reluctant to let owners of the chair have one.
    Last edited by Spadfan; 10-21-2005 at 12:26 AM.
    William M.
    T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74