Thread: Book Reading

Book Reading

Hi,

I'm looking for a device that I could attach to my father's hospital bed that would hold books to allow him to read in bed.

Is there a store in the metropolitan Detroit area that has equipment for people with spinal cord injuries?

Is your father receiving OT (occupational therapy)? Is he in a spinal cord rehabilitation program? The OT should be obtaining equipment such as this for him, even if just on a temporary loan basis. There are book stands of various design. Page turners are much more expensive. What type of hand or arm function does your father have for turning pages? There are devices to help with this too if he has any arm function.

If he is not in a SCI center or is not getting OT, then request that he gets this.

He should also be eligible for Library of Congress books on tape if he is unable to physically manage a book himself. There is no cost for this. Check with the OT or with your local library for help on this.

(KLD)

Want free books on tape? I have one read to me a week as books are too hard to hold anymore.

http://www.loc.gov/nls/

National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS)
    The Library of Congress

anyone try e books?

Thanks for the responses - My father is actually still in ICU at Detroit Receiving Hospital. He doesn't have any movement in his arms or legs. Someone would be with him to turn the pages, I was just looking for something to hold the book in front of him. I've tried holding the books, but my arms get tired afterwhile.

levo book holder

with ebooks the book is on the computer screen , and page turning can be via mouse or trackball.
    fonts can be increased to be able to read from a further distance without glasses. however you would need a monitor he could see from the bed.