Thread: Scholarship opportunities for Disability students?

Scholarship opportunities for Disability students?

Just curious as to if anyone has had any luck finding/applying for any certain scholarships. I'm a 19 year old paraplegic who is currently going to a community college for free (step mom works there), but plan on going to a 4 year university in the fall of 2016.

What country and/or state are you in? If you are in the USA, have you made contact with your state Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation? You should be eligible for college funding when that is part of your vocational rehabilitation plan.

(KLD)

Unspent money for college or university.

I can tell you like I have said before there are millions of dollars to go back to college and earn a degree for free if you are a person with a disability. Much of that money every year goes unspent. I found this out in 1988 when I was seriously thinking of getting off Social Security Disability. The money is out there. You have to look and ask for it!

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Where would suggestion someone in the USA should start their search. and any tips you would pass on after your experience ?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    I can tell you like I have said before there are millions of dollars to go back to college and earn a degree for free if you are a person with a disability. Much of that money every year goes unspent. I found this out in 1988 when I was seriously thinking of getting off Social Security Disability. The money is out there. You have to look and ask for it!

Ti

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Where would suggestion someone in the USA should start their search. and any tips you would pass on after your experience ?

Cheers.
    http://bfy.tw/4pP4

Where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    YES! There's a start.

When I got injured in 1987 Internet wasn't available so I had to use an IBM PS2 386 with 4 MB of ram and 40 MB hard drive, HP Laser jet Series II, Word Perfect software, stamps and envelops. I wrote companies, organizations, foundations, state agencies and federal agencies.

Each library has a book called the Harris Directory. Look there. Every college and university has a book for all scholarships that are available. I don't know the name but it is in the financial aid department.

Then I found the golden ticket for a state funded return to work program that paid for all college tuition, fees, books, $200 supply allowance and disability related items; wheelchairs, shower chairs, power CAD dual table work station, desktop computer, notebook computer, standing frame, ... but the bottom line was you had to find a full time job.

Check with your college or university with the office of disability they may money available for you to attend their campus with no pay back.

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 03-18-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What country and/or state are you in? If you are in the USA, have you made contact with your state Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation? You should be eligible for college funding when that is part of your vocational rehabilitation plan. (KLD)
    VR is the way to go. I did the calculations and they paid something like $130,000 for my tuition, books, living expenses and a standing wheelchair during my 4 years of medical school. Of course this varies by state, but mine is one of the more regressive red states, where you might not expect such significant "wasteful" expenditure as education (you might know us for our recent ban on transgender bathroom use and an amendment banning gay marriage a few years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Hahaha