Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grilling as a quad

Grilling as a quad

I need to tips on grilling as a quad. Any type of set up, grills, or utensils that you guys recommend? Gas vs Charchoal vs George foreman? What do you guys recommend as to getting started?

I'm not sure what level you are but here's a C6-7 quad friend in Northern VA that is a grill master. Check out his youtube channel. Larry used to be on here but I haven't seen him lately.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheWolfePit
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Go with gas, much cleaner, easier to get started and control. I love grilling with propane.

I am a C-7. I use a propane grill with a pan of woodchips when a smokey flavor is desired. I use utensils with long handles. I try things in the store to see if I can handle them. When buying a grill make certain it is a height you are comfortable working at. A lot of them were too high for me when I used a manual wheelchair. I do not have a problem now with my power chair which has an elevating seat. In general be careful. You are playing with fire.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Here is what I just recently got.

http://www.cook-air.com

It is available on Amazon. It is absolutely amazing. I can use just a small amount of wood chunk charcoal (about 3 pieces), mixed with one raw wood chunk for the smoke and flavor. I light it with a butane torch, which is really easy to use (much easier than those long lighters that have safety switches). The starter piece lights really quickly, then the coals are ready in just 5 minutes. At that point it is super hot. You can sear what you are cooking, then turn down the fan to lower the temp and make the coals last a bit longer. After you are finished, you can turn the fan back up and almost all the coals burn up without hardly any ash left over. Since all of the coals are contained in the smaller center of the the grill, it seems really safe. You can't use briquettes, but the wood charcoal burns very hot and super cleanly (no smoke). Adding the piece of raw wood adds to flavor, but creates more smoke.

I have the grill sitting on a small patio end table, so the height of the grill surface is about the same height as my armrests. It can be plugged in (for the fan) or run off of batteries.

btw- I use scissor-style tongs, which is much easier than traditional tongs for a quad. You get a firm grip on what you are holding. That, or I have use grilling forks, but generally don't like to puncture the food I am grilling.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Oh, the other thing I have been experimenting with is to cook the steaks using sous vide, then just use the grill to sear the outside. Sous vide is pretty easy for a quad, and you can include any kind of marinade or herbs you want. Recently, some relatively inexpensive cookers are being sold. I use the Sansaire model.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I need to tips on grilling as a quad. Any type of set up, grills, or utensils that you guys recommend? Gas vs Charchoal vs George foreman? What do you guys recommend as to getting started?
    Funny you should ask. I just got a quad friendly grill tool about two weeks ago.

Last fall a professor of mechanical engineering at The University of Texas asked me (a retired ME) for a project idea for his beginning freshman class. The project I gave the group of four was to develop a hamburger flipper grill tool that I, C7 complete, could use. I have almost no grip and no torso control so I need to use both hands to hold the spatula but if I reach forward without using one arm for support, I fall into the grill.

I suggested that they build on the Cripper, an ingenious device sold by quadtools.com. They did and replaced the pincers with two spatula. They are removable with wing nuts so that other types of grippers could be attached to the end of the Cripper as well.

I'd like to post pictures but since the database upgrade I'm not one of the lucky few who can still do that. If someone else can still post pictures and is interested, I'll gladly email the pictures to you so you can post for all to see.

My plan is to send pictures and 3D Solidworks files to quadtools along with a suggestion that they add something similar to this to their product line. It has made a world of difference to me. In 2 weeks, I have grilled hamburgers, chicken, salmon and flank steak for fajitas.

As was mentioned, height is important. It is easier to lift the lid and flip things if it is slightly lower than normal. You don't want it to be eye level when things start to flare up. Both charcoal and gas have their place. I use charcoal for overnight cooks and gas for everything else.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

I have a gas grill but can't operate it myself, and I'm a para. I will say that things can seem ok for a while and then suddenly there's a big flareup. I don't feel comfortable grilling alone. However, I can flip the meat and monitor the temperature if someone else is there to set up the grill.

Then again, a lot of people do way more than I do in general, even if they're higher-level, I'm a bit on the timid side.

I'm C5-6 and cook on the grill from spring to fall. I have a 4-burner gas grill and elevate my powerchair to get up to a good level to manage the grill. Cooking chicken tonight and bear burgers are on the menu for later this week.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein