Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Truck Conversion is Best

The one you fit into the best.

Also the dealer that you believe can fit it best to your needs and will take care of you as your needs may change.

Pick up trucks can be a little complicated when it comes to fitting someone in a power wheelchair.

Many people won't fit.

All mobility dealers have a different ability to assist you.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Here is the link of the site who can help you for this conversion. They also converse my van for me. It is very comfortable.

http://www.csv.com.au/wheelchair-lifts

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    Lance does your lift rattle while driving?
    no, it's pretty quiet...... I do get some vibration from my tires, mainly because their are dick cepek mud tires.....

Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
    I would love a truck but there are 2 negative's for me!
    1. Price!!!!WOW
    2. I cant drive from my chair. Manual chair and how uncomfortable!

Are there options for not driving from your chair? Without some arm coming down and picking up the chair. The reason for a truck is for the room and if there is some big arm in the bed that takes away from the space in the bed.
    1. How much are these conversions on average?
    2. I'm with you on this. It'd be nice if once the lift goes up, you could transfer into the drivers seat then the lift with your chair could rotate into the back seat area.

that's awesome. I hate being in my power chair much rather be in my manual chair. After 8 years of waiting I think its time for me to get something like that. I much prefer driving from a seat but my parents arnt getting any younger and it would benefit all of us if I would stick to a power chair. How do you like it? I like the looks of that and the rhino much better than the Goshie. I also like the fact that you can keep the back seat.

Why is it that people seem to think you can't drive from a manual chair? I'm in the early stages of ordering a GMC Sierra 3500 Denali from ATC. I've spoken to ATC and the driver trainer at the VA and no one has said it can't be done. I chose ATC for several reasons, the lift allows use of back seats, the door raising up over your head gives you some protection from inclement weather and its narrow enough to use a regular parking space if a handicapped space isn't available.

Quote Originally Posted by Enabledshooter View Post
    Why is it that people seem to think you can't drive from a manual chair?
    I drive from a manual chair and know others that do the same. I don't think that you can't, it's just not recommended and I think that it's because of whiplash from a rear collision. A manual chair rarely if ever has a headrest and does not have the support needed.

Where in SC are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    I drive from a manual chair and know others that do the same. I don't think that you can't, it's just not recommended and I think that it's because of whiplash from a rear collision. A manual chair rarely if ever has a headrest and does not have the support needed.

Where in SC are you located?
    I'm in Lexington, near Columbia.

I'm using a TiLite Aero R. Unfortunately, Transit Tie-Downs are only available on the ZRA, Aero Z, Aero X, and TWIST models. I guess I'll be getting a new chair.