Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how can i live by myself?

how can i live by myself?

I really want to live by myself. The only problem is that i am a quad with only medicaid (CCSP) and a SSI check ($700). Is there anything I can do? Are there any resources out there?

Why do you not have Medicare coverage? It seems to me that you need to make a visit to your local social security office. Your age and date of injury lead me to believe that you are eligible to receive social security benefits based on your parents earnings-provided you live outside their home. I do not know your circumstances but I thing that a visit (alone) to the social security office will help you.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

I'm also a quad, and I have the same dream so I +1 vote to your question

I think that we tried to get me on medicare in addition to my medicaid in the past and they said that I didn't qualify for that, but I guess I could try going to the social security office again. How would medicare help though? Could it help me to get 24/7 cna service?

Lots of unanswered questions.

• What is your actual level of injury?
    • How old are you?
    • How long have you been injured?
    • Who do you live with now?
    • Who provides your care now?
    • What state are you in (I am assuming NJ based on your member name, but not sure)?
    • Are you going to school or working?
    • Why do you need 24/7 care? Are you ventilator dependent?
    • Have you talked to anyone at your local Independent Living Center about state or local programs for which you might be eligible (such as Section 8 housing, state attendant care programs, etc. etc.)??

(KLD)

• What is your actual level of injury? C5 but I can use my wrist
    • How old are you? 26
    • How long have you been injured? 11 years
    • Who do you live with now? My mom and stepdad
    • Who provides your care now? i have 3 different cna's and my mom
    • What state are you in? Ga
    • Are you going to school or working? no
    • Why do you need 24/7 care? Are you ventilator dependent? I don't need 24/7 care but my mom would feel better if i had it. I need help in the morning and at night and maybe for a couple hours during the day but other than that i am indepent.
    • Have you talked to anyone at your local Independent Living Center about state or local programs for which you might be eligible (such as Section 8 housing, state attendant care programs, etc. etc.)?? No but i would like to. I didn't know of an Independent Living Center until now.

what is ur level

Who pays for the CNAs you have now?

Have you considered going back to school or to work?

There is really no reason that you need to have 24/7 someone with you. Moms tend to be over-protective. I know of no state program that would provide you 24/7 care unless you are on a ventilator. Most people at your level of injury who live along have someone who comes in the AM and helps with bathing, bowel/bladder/skin, dressing and transfers in 2-4 hours, then they have someone else who comes in the evening to put them to bed (1-2 hours). Often one of these people also prepares meals that you can heat up in a microwave or take out of the frig when they are not there. Few people have someone who stays the night. Finding live-in help is very difficult, esp. unless you have the resources to rent a 2 bedroom apt. or house and provide them with room and board as part of their pay. This means you need to be able to use a cell phone or other emergency system to call for help at night when you are alone and in bed.

Here is where you can find a list of Independent Living Centers in your state. They can provide you with information, advocacy, and resources to help you live independently in the community.

http://www.ilru.org/projects/cil-net...tion-directory

(KLD)

New member here, chiming in with some encouragement. My husband is C5 complete and within two years of his injury he was living alone in an accessible, HUD subsidized apartment. He had (and still has) a carer in the morning to help him with his bowel routine, dressing, etc. and one at night to help him back into bed. His morning carer made his breakfast and left him with water and lunch. His evening carer fixed his dinner. He lived alone for several years.

Your local independent living center can help you fill out applications and get on waiting lists - it might take a while for a place to open up because space is limited. Good luck!

Yes, find group home full of crips like us. You can have wheelchair fun.