Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: how can i live by myself?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    how can i live by myself?

    I really want to live by myself. The only problem is that i am a quad with only medicaid (CCSP) and a SSI check ($700). Is there anything I can do? Are there any resources out there?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    589
    Why do you not have Medicare coverage? It seems to me that you need to make a visit to your local social security office. Your age and date of injury lead me to believe that you are eligible to receive social security benefits based on your parents earnings-provided you live outside their home. I do not know your circumstances but I thing that a visit (alone) to the social security office will help you.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

  3. #3
    I think that we tried to get me on medicare in addition to my medicaid in the past and they said that I didn't qualify for that, but I guess I could try going to the social security office again. How would medicare help though? Could it help me to get 24/7 cna service?

  4. #4
    I'm also a quad, and I have the same dream so I +1 vote to your question

  5. #5
    Lots of unanswered questions.

    • What is your actual level of injury?
    • How old are you?
    • How long have you been injured?
    • Who do you live with now?
    • Who provides your care now?
    • What state are you in (I am assuming NJ based on your member name, but not sure)?
    • Are you going to school or working?
    • Why do you need 24/7 care? Are you ventilator dependent?
    • Have you talked to anyone at your local Independent Living Center about state or local programs for which you might be eligible (such as Section 8 housing, state attendant care programs, etc. etc.)??


    (KLD)

  6. #6
    • What is your actual level of injury? C5 but I can use my wrist
    • How old are you? 26
    • How long have you been injured? 11 years
    • Who do you live with now? My mom and stepdad
    • Who provides your care now? i have 3 different cna's and my mom
    • What state are you in? Ga
    • Are you going to school or working? no
    • Why do you need 24/7 care? Are you ventilator dependent? I don't need 24/7 care but my mom would feel better if i had it. I need help in the morning and at night and maybe for a couple hours during the day but other than that i am indepent.
    • Have you talked to anyone at your local Independent Living Center about state or local programs for which you might be eligible (such as Section 8 housing, state attendant care programs, etc. etc.)?? No but i would like to. I didn't know of an Independent Living Center until now.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    middle georgia
    Posts
    2,338
    what is ur level

  8. #8
    Who pays for the CNAs you have now?

    Have you considered going back to school or to work?

    There is really no reason that you need to have 24/7 someone with you. Moms tend to be over-protective. I know of no state program that would provide you 24/7 care unless you are on a ventilator. Most people at your level of injury who live along have someone who comes in the AM and helps with bathing, bowel/bladder/skin, dressing and transfers in 2-4 hours, then they have someone else who comes in the evening to put them to bed (1-2 hours). Often one of these people also prepares meals that you can heat up in a microwave or take out of the frig when they are not there. Few people have someone who stays the night. Finding live-in help is very difficult, esp. unless you have the resources to rent a 2 bedroom apt. or house and provide them with room and board as part of their pay. This means you need to be able to use a cell phone or other emergency system to call for help at night when you are alone and in bed.

    Here is where you can find a list of Independent Living Centers in your state. They can provide you with information, advocacy, and resources to help you live independently in the community.

    http://www.ilru.org/projects/cil-net...tion-directory

    (KLD)

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Who pays for the CNAs you have now?

    Have you considered going back to school or to work?

    There is really no reason that you need to have 24/7 someone with you. Moms tend to be over-protective. I know of no state program that would provide you 24/7 care unless you are on a ventilator. Most people at your level of injury who live along have someone who comes in the AM and helps with bathing, bowel/bladder/skin, dressing and transfers in 2-4 hours, then they have someone else who comes in the evening to put them to bed (1-2 hours). Often one of these people also prepares meals that you can heat up in a microwave or take out of the frig when they are not there. Few people have someone who stays the night. Finding live-in help is very difficult, esp. unless you have the resources to rent a 2 bedroom apt. or house and provide them with room and board as part of their pay. This means you need to be able to use a cell phone or other emergency system to call for help at night when you are alone and in bed.

    Here is where you can find a list of Independent Living Centers in your state. They can provide you with information, advocacy, and resources to help you live independently in the community.

    http://www.ilru.org/projects/cil-net...tion-directory

    (KLD)
    We have accumen and they pay our cna's, but we are in charge of hiring/firing the CNA's and doing their payroll. It's a pretty good system. It allows me to get a lot of hours. But I really don't need 24/7 care. I could definitely make it with people coming in only in the morning and night and on some days in the evenings also. My biggest hurdle is my bowl program. I do my bowl program every four days at night time and it takes 3-4 hours. Finding someone and paying them to do that is the hardest part.

    Thank you for the independent living center website link. I will check it out.

    I would like to work, but I don't want to lose my medicaid. I have worked at my friends cell phone store some, and I like that. It's easy enough, but unfortunately they can't work me very often.

    I did some online college at the Art Institute, but I dropped out after a year. It was really hard, even with a light schedule. But then again I was going to the wound clinic then and that took up a lot of my time. It was also crazy expensive. I still owe them like $11,000. So now I wonder if someone would even lend me the money to go back to school.

    I have this problem with my body though. Many days, my body feel so tight and stiff. It makes it hard to even type. I feel double paralyzed on those days. But I am thinking about getting a baclofen pump put it, and I heard that that will help.

    And thanks for all your help. Your replies have really helped me over the years (even when I used different screen names).

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetMeInMontauk View Post
    We have accumen and they pay our cna's, but we are in charge of hiring/firing the CNA's and doing their payroll.
    What is Accumen? Is it private insurance? State Medicaid? Why can you not continue with this if you move out on your own?

    Quote Originally Posted by MeetMeInMontauk View Post
    My biggest hurdle is my bowl program. I do my bowl program every four days at night time and it takes 3-4 hours. Finding someone and paying them to do that is the hardest part.
    Why do you only do bowel care every 4 days? Going longer than 3 days is highly correlated with long term problems such as obstructive megacolon. Why does it take 3-4 hours? Are you doing bowel care in bed or up on a toilet or commode? What does your actual bowel care consist of (suppository, dig stim, etc. etc.). Ideally bowel care should not take more than 45-60 minutes total, start to finish.

    Quote Originally Posted by MeetMeInMontauk View Post
    I did some online college at the Art Institute, but I dropped out after a year. It was really hard, even with a light schedule. But then again I was going to the wound clinic then and that took up a lot of my time. It was also crazy expensive. I still owe them like $11,000. So now I wonder if someone would even lend me the money to go back to school.
    You should be working with the state Dept. of Vocational Rehab on a plan for going to school and eventually becoming employed. If college is part of a career plan with them, they will fund your college, including tuition and books and perhaps even transportation to/from school.

    (KLD)

Similar Threads

  1. We know how many LIVE with SCI but
    By NoDecafPlz in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 06:05 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2002, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •