Thread: I never heard this term before.

I never heard this term before.

When I called to request handicapped parking for the LPGA golf championship, the receptionist asked if I was apparatus-bound.

Blog Entries
    Sounds as if you'd be tied to a ----??????????????
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Sounds like people who are fixed to their smartphone.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Lol, if someone was going to be offended by "wheelchair bound" it certainly wasn't the wheelchair part they were complaining about...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    When I called to request handicapped parking for the LPGA golf championship, the receptionist asked if I was apparatus-bound.
    What happened next? Maybe she was going to offer you a golf cart.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Do they do assigned parking for handicapped parking? Why would your regular handicapped plate or placard from the DMV (or equivalent) not be enough? Was she maybe trying to ask if you need a van accessible space to discharge from a ramp? It has been my finding that too many people are trying so hard to be "politically correct" that they are really more offensive than if they ask an honest question. Too often the people you talk to over the phone are too concerned with offending someone that they fail to serve the customer. The best I worked with told us up front that they did not intend to be offensive or invade privacy but truly wanted to make sure our needs were met. Personally, I appreciate the honesty.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

She asked if I was apparatus-bound when I asked for a lift-equipped shuttle to the golf course.

All this politically correct jargon reminds me of a wheelchair basketball player (now deceased) that I knew in the 1970s and '80s.

His famous quote, "No matter what they call you, you're not going to get up and walk."
    Last edited by Uncle Peter; 06-03-2015 at 02:26 PM.

I once asked the Parks and Recreation Department in my town about wheelchair accessible swimming pools and lifts at our public pools. An employee answered my question by saying, "Do you need aquatic therapy." My answer was no, I just want to go swimming." I guess people who use wheelchairs can't want to use a pool like others.

All the best,
    GJ

I hate to admit that I am unsure of what a life-equipped shuttle means. It would have better if she had asked for more information as to your needs. We have never tried to attend a professional sporting event (money just does not come close to allowing), but I fully understand the research in advance - rather than just showing up and expecting to be accommodated.

Our city rec department does not have pools but my experience has shown that the best chance to find pool lifts is through the local YMCA. They do adjust the membership rates based on income and they do have the facilities in our area. The pool lift is portable so it can be used for the lap pool, the therapy pool, and the jacuzzi. I do not think that they use it for the outdoor pool but that should not be too big of a problem.

--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

I changed it to "lift-equipped." Stuff like that happens when I don't wear my glasses.