Thread: J-3 Seat leaking air

J-3 Seat leaking air

Last night, Ryan was in his standing frame while teasing the cat. The cat has his condo beside the standing frame and like to use to the condo to get to the table top of the standing frame to better survey his kingdom. Jack (cat) was on the table when Ryan got up in the frame. When Jack wanted down, Ry was blocking his exit (with a grin on his face) so Jack used Ryan's chair as an egress. The problem happened when Jack used his claws to make the transfer. I cannot blame the cat, I blame the kid but the bottom line is that the air bladder has at least one leak. I tried using waterbed glue last night on the hole I could find but it was not enough. The thing still will not hold air.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can plug his leak for long enough to get another bladder. My provider has been bought out recently (like most) and the service department does not have access to past sales records to know the specs on his seat (what the #$%). It will be ast least a few days before they can figure out what he has. They suggested that I try using duct tape (again, what the #$%).

He cannot wait days or weeks since he has no other seat to use. He is current using the bladder with a bath towel folded into the inset (where the bladder goes) and a piece of "chicken fat" for padding. The chicken fat does not breathe and holds heat so in 90 degree weather, this is going to be a problem very soon.

Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly apprectiated.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

I have the same cushion, and mine developed a leak on it's own.

My fix was to use a bicycle tube repair kit. A slightly larger than pin prick tear has held well for the past four months.

The one I used was like this http://www.niagaracycle.com/categori...tRwBoCAKzw_wcB

Should only be a couple bucks at any bicycle shop. Depending on where the puncture is it could be difficult to properly scuff up the surface with the sandpaper (mine was at a weird junction of the bubbles), but just use tons of the glue and let it sit overnight to dry before putting any pressure (ie weight) on it.

Good idea on the waterbed patch kit. I'd also consider "Slime" type bike tube patch kits, both the patch and the gel may be of help here, although I'm getting conflicting reports about Slime gel being feasible and don't have a J3 myself. Another recommendation here talks about Goop.

As far as finding the leaks, I would consider filling up the bathtub (if you have one) with a few inches of water. Then dunk the air bladder, marking holes you find (they will bubble) with a permanent marker. Patch. If you don't have a bathtub or sink large enough to do the water trick you will have to use the soap spray method described in the Goop recommendation...then be sure to de-soap the air bladder with tap water before putting it back in the cushion cover (hopefully fully dry - consider in front of a fan, out in the breeze, etc to expedite the drying).

Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Mystery

Also, any way that you could call Sunrise and ask them for help figuring out the spec's of the J3? Especially if you know what year it was manufactured, generally they will have a few choices, and they can ask you questions to try to narrow it down as to how it was spec'd. It might be faster than calling the DME, and I've found the representatives extremely helpful. Any chance there is also a serial number on it? The rep can run this.

Try calling 1-800-333-4000, Pacific Time (generally 8-5 I think).

Depending on where the leak is you might not need to replace the bladder. I have had very good luck with Roho's repair kit. ( If you still have box / paperwork that came with cushion there should be a kit that came with the cushion.)

I would call Roho customer service , pay with credit card and they should get it out to you pretty quick. good luck.
    ROHO Store:
    https://roho.com/product/store-produ...atch-kit-roho/
    Last edited by ChesBay; 06-01-2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: typo

I wish the seat bladder had a serial number on it or that I got a box/paperwork with it. Maybe because it was delivered as part of the chair, the DME decided that packaging was not necessary. I will not make that error again. There is a bike shop in town near the grocery so I will go there in the AM, with the bladder and see if they can help me. If it lasts 3-4 months, that will work as he has a new chair in the eternal approval process (private health insurance + medicare + medicaid) and it takes a while. The new chair is a manual but has a new seat included as the specs are a little different. I think the new seat will work in the old chair (has to better than a bath towel and "chicken fat").

Thanks for the input. The bike shop closes at 6 so I will be there when they open or when he gets up as I do not leave him unless he is in his chair and able to egress alone.--eak

EKephart,
    If the seat came with the chair, is there any chance that the chair is a Quickie / Sunrise product? If it is, call customer service (8-5 Pacific Time, 3 hours earlier than VA time) - and run the serial number of the Quickie chair. There's a very good chance that the seating specs will be tied to the chair serial number.

If you've put a J3 back or cushion on another brand of chair, you can still try calling Quickie / Sunrise, but the serial number of the chair will not help. An estimate of what year it was manufactured may help considerably though.

Good luck! If nothing else, do try bike shop and patches in the morning...most bike sections of other stores may have a selection, too.

Keep us posted on what works for you!
    Mystery

Since he has another chair and seat in progress (we all know how long that takes), my first plan is the bike shop since it is immediate. He told me that I can take the bladder to the store with me as it is not holding air. I will then also call Sunrise to get a replacement bladder (even if we have to pay for it out of pocket-skin is of more important than money).

It amazes me that I have socialized Jack the cat (grandson's name for cat) since I took him from the cage at the animal shelter but I am the only one that Jack will scratch. He loves Ry and Tom but only claws me. I guess he is a true child in that it is OK to abuse mom because she will love you anyway. I told Ry that taking advantage of this is not fair. Jack does not go into Ry's room when Ry is sleeping (messes with me all the time), does not chase flies when they are too close to Ry (Jack is an excellent fly killer-my legs and the down comforter on my bed have scars) and though Jack LOVES straws, does not go for the ones on Ry's table. He deserves better from Ryan. I know Ry has little power over others in his life but teasing the cat in not acceptable. If it were possible for Ry to suffer for weeks to pay for his crime, I would be OK with that but we are not talking only comfort but skin here and that makes a huge difference.--eak

Elizabeth,

Regarding "I will then also call Sunrise to get a replacement bladder (even if we have to pay for it out of pocket ..." - if you have to buy the bladder yourelf, there are numerous online sources from which you can get it less expensively than Sunrise.