Thread: Myelomalacia

Myelomalacia

Newbie here...just trying to educate myself. History includes ACDF C 6-7 in 2000, ACDF C5-6 in 2003. I did great for many years and suddenly in August of last year started having issues and 9 months later determined I had myelomalacia C4-5. Just over six weeks out from ACDF with spacer at C4-5. I am still having an incredible amount of spasticity in left leg and foot. Curious to learn what has helped others. Neurosurgeon found large tear at posterior longitudinal ligament. From surgical notes very large central and left disc herniation with cord compression and cervical myelopathy. Ice, heat, rest, massage, medication, physical therapy? What has helped you decrease spasticity in leg and foot? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Myelomalacia can occur after trauma to the cord. It is generally not reversable, and we do not know how to heal it. If you have problems with residual impairment from this, I would suggest you see a good physiatrist who is expert in SCI care. Spasticity is helped by range of motion stretching, standing, laying on your stomach while sleeping, and the use of appropriate anti-spasticity medications such as Baclofen or Zanaflex. Medications for muscle pull type spasms (such as Robaxin or Soma) are not appropriate for this type of spasticity. If you live in a state with medical marijuana, you may also want to consider that.

(KLD)