Thread: Can't remove my casters!

Can't remove my casters!

I have done some searches and not found anything helpful, but if someone knows of an existing thread I will happily go check it out!

I have a Box Everyday Suspension chair and my casters need to be changed out due to regular wear. I have frogleg forks with the 4" frog leg soft roll casters. I have looked online and found two different styles of axles. One with a hollow axle with thread on the inside that has screws that screw into both sides, and another that only has a screw on the on side and the other side has a head like a screw but it's just part of the axle. I hope I'm using the right words and this makes sense. I THINK mine is the second. I got the screw out of the one end but for the life of me I cannot get the axle out of the fork/caster on either wheel. Trying to turn the other side I can get some rotation but it doesn't come out or appear to loosen or tighten and it's so stuck in there that I accidentally partially stripped the head.

How the heck do I get these things out???? I've tried everything I can think of including gently trying to tap it out once I have removed the screw on the one side. It will not budge. I've removed all the hair from around my casters that I can see but there is still a ton of resistance when I try to turn them and it's impacting my mobility. I am so annoyed that I'm ready to get new forks and casters!

Any advice at all, or definite information about how this is all in there would be really really helpful. I can keep trying to tap it out but I don't want use much force til I know for sure there aren't any threads holding it in there.

I don't remember threads being in the fork, could be though. I suspect corrosion. Try wd-40 overnight inside and out. Then replace opposite screw and tap a little with with hammer watching carefully for any movement.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks! I will do that! From what I can see there is some rusting so that's a good tip. I was planning a trip to WalMart tomorrow anyway so I will grab some WD-40. I'm still learning about this whole "servicing my own chair" thing so as a follow up question - I'm just ordering my new casters now and I need to obviously do some maintenance on these ones so I don't destroy my shoulders for the next little bit while I wait for the new ones, and I know enough to know that I need to replace the bearings. Where do I get bearings, how will I know I have the right ones? Sorry if this is a super basic question...I'm learning!

I don't have froglegs anymore so can't go look to see if they are different than all the rest or not. What you do is that when you've got the wheel off and can see the bearings you will be able to see what is probably a three digit alphanumeric code stamped on it. Google that "code + bearing" "xxx bearing". Find four that look like yours, steel, sealed, cheap. Might be cheaper in multiple. Quicker to buy locally. Southwest Medical or whoever the FL distributor is might have them, but the markup is not necessary.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I just wanted to say thank you for the WD-40 tip! I still can't get the stupid casters off my chair, BUT with some WD40 they are not actually spinning like they are brand new. I need to change them out still but I am going to wait til I have the new ones and new hardware in my hands because I fear I'm going to break something in the process. I had no idea how bad it actually was but now I realize I had no free roll at all after a push. I only got as far as I could rotate the wheel. I am flying all over the place right now and loving it! I can't remember a time when I rolled this easily so it's been bad for a while but I guess I just didn't notice as it snuck up on me. I am super super happy right now and my shoulders think you deserve knighthood for that tip so again, THANK YOU!!!!!!

Put the screws back in you took out. Loosen them one full turn. Smack them with a hammer>BUT put a piece of wood on the screw head so you don't damage it and can't get the screw driver in the slots. Loosen the screw another turn and hit it again. Keep doing that until you get the other end out enough to grab it with a pair of pliers and wiggle it out.
    Search on the equipment forum for info on how to change bearings and where to get new ones. Most casters use bearings you can get a skate board shops.