Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a suggestion for Freewheel or something like it

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Ok... I'm pretty sure the rear tires are ok on powdery soft sand, but I still need something for the front. I cant afford to buy a whole new wheelchair tho.
    I've been wheelied through the super soft sand by two others lifting and pulling on my casters. You might try that with ropes or something on dry land first, just an idle suggestion.
    Last edited by nonoise; 05-31-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: clarity
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Nah, I wanna be able to do it myself. There has to be something?
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

I've gone down as far as the life guard station, but not return on my own. Level and downhill are one thing, but uphill is a whole 'nuther game with 1 3/8 rear tires.
    Last edited by nonoise; 05-31-2015 at 11:41 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

i just confirmed the rear tires are over 3 inch in diameter.

"The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

i thought i had it sussed with my offroad chair i got, basically i got a second hand chair bought 25" spinergys with nobbly bike tyres and used a freewheel thinking it would be a breeze and it wasnt, my brother still had a hard time pushing me through the soft stuff, and even after all that once damp/wet sand got on the wheels and rims it was rubbing away my skin after awhile of pushing around on the flat stuff :/ not so fun

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    True, some places just aren't chair friendly. If you get stuck with 10" balloon tires, your options are pretty limited unless you want to shell out the cash for a power chair running on tracks.
    Surly clown shoe's with Lou's are working good for me.

If you can push off the wheels themselves then get a pair of fat bike wheels built and put a freewheel or stricker lomo 360 on the front of your chair.

Quote Originally Posted by giles88 View Post
    If you can push off the wheels themselves then get a pair of fat bike wheels built and put a freewheel or stricker lomo 360 on the front of your chair.
    As far as I can tell both the sticker and the free wheel are bloody useless on soft sand... that was the point of my post. Am I to assume there's nothing out there?

I'll just get my own made.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

As far as I can tell both the sticker and the free wheel are bloody useless on soft sand... that was the point of my post. Am I to assume there's nothing out there?

I'll just get my own made.
    Please come back with "show and tell" with what you come up with.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    The Freedom Trax

marquismobilitytrax.com
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt