Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a suggestion for Freewheel or something like it

Need a suggestion for Freewheel or something like it

I moved to the beach about 2 years ago. I can see it from my apartment but I cant touch it. I've always wanted to go and have a frollick on it but have to pass on every visitors suggestion to do so - they inevitably just go without me (not complaining about percieved lack of caring on their part, they usually want me to go). I just cant bring myself to take them up on the offer of hauling my huge ass thru the soft sand. I have 2"thick rear wheels and I'm thinking I'll need the same for the front. But, every photo I see of a free wheel or something similar has like a 1.5 inch (may be smaller I don't know for sure) wheel. Not suitable for very soft sand. Is there something I'm missing?
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

You need wide/oversized tires to float on top of soft sand... 2" tires will still dig in.

Something like this, from Lasher...

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    You need wide/oversized tires to float on top of soft sand... 2" tires will still dig in.

Something like this, from Lasher...

This is always shown on hard pack or wet sand. I've yet to see videos of the 4 inch rear wheels going through the deep soft dry beach sands found above tide level. The tires I know work are those like are shown in my avatar. Chairs like that cost a few k. Or depending where you live, they can be rented or borrowed from the state park.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    This is always shown on hard pack or wet sand.

From the same page:

http://www.lashersport.com/pages/cha...h/btbeach.html

I've yet to see videos of the 4 inch rear wheels going through the deep soft dry beach sands found above tide level.
    Here's one with both.

Those are promising pictures, but they are not up near the dune type area which presents the powder soft barrier sand that stops me. Believe me I want one of those chairs with the 4 inch rear wheels but I just recently got stuck with the super fat ones in the soft sand, so I am skeptical.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

True, some places just aren't chair friendly. If you get stuck with 10" balloon tires, your options are pretty limited unless you want to shell out the cash for a power chair running on tracks.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Nature will always present some type of barriers to wheelchairs. If there was a way to get my wheelchair down to the ocean, I would be pretty satisfied. Whether it was a boardwalk I had to drive down or a paved trail I needed to use to access the packed sand, so be it. I used to bust trail through the woods for the fun of it but I realized that I wasn't going to drive my wheelchair down a steep hill in the forest to get to the creek. The experience of enjoying the forest was enough. Did drive down the road to see the creek.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 05-30-2015 at 07:19 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    True, some places just aren't chair friendly. If you get stuck with 10" balloon tires, your options are pretty limited unless you want to shell out the cash for a power chair running on tracks.
    The big balloons all around might have worked. This is what I had: http://accessrec.com/de-bug/

Ok... I'm pretty sure the rear tires are ok on powdery soft sand, but I still need something for the front. I cant afford to buy a whole new wheelchair tho.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Nature will always present some type of barriers to wheelchairs. If there was a way to get my wheelchair down to the ocean, I would be pretty satisfied. Whether it was a boardwalk I had to drive down or a paved trail I needed to use to access the packed sand, so be it. I used to bust trail through the woods for the fun of it but I realized that I wasn't going to drive my wheelchair down a steep hill in the forest to get to the creek. The experience of enjoying the forest was enough. Did drive down the road to see the creek.
    There's a place in my state with an "old growth forest" that has a paved trail. It's the closest I'll ever get to being in a forest, stopping to hear the stillness and think of those who enjoyed it eons ago. Such a letdown to come to the end of the long trail.