Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a suggestion for Freewheel or something like it

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Giles, that is awesome, congratulations. Now that you've got pictures up, we need a build description too. Did you make changes to the hubs of the clownshoes? Are they the same hubs? Or did you adapt an axle tube to the hub? Just how did you do it?

And I don't recognize the front caster setup, homebuilt or what?
    The chair is factory built from Tilite designs unlimited, it's a TR with a 16 inch bicycle wheel on the front end. The rear wheels were built by a bike shop at my request, they are Sun hubs laced up to Surly wheels. I was interested in the Stricker lomo attachment and asked Tilite if they could build a chair with a front on end on it similar to the Stricker lomo. After several drawings and a lot of going back and forth this is the end result.

It works great off road, the Surly's give incredible flotation in the sand. The only thing I would do differently is go with a 20 inch wheel on the front end and make it a little bit longer on the front end section. There is some flutter in the front wheel when going fast, but at a normal speed it's fine. The amount of trail in the front fork/caster would have to be changed with a 20 inch wheel, I'm still trying to figure out what would be best with a 20 inch wheel.

I hope to get another one built in the future, If i do i'll try to get Steve Holub to build it. He is a great guy, very skilled and easy to talk to.

Nobody has found a 36 spoke wheelchair hub, and I count 32 spokes on the blue wheels. (36 on the blacks) Did they leave out four spokes on the blues? Also it looks like all the spokes are laced on one side. Is that correct? Is it sturdy enough?

I think your caster wobble would be solved with more trail. I have had no wobble with my 8" caster at any speed on my 3D Shadow. Believe me I've had it going plenty fast.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Nobody has found a 36 spoke wheelchair hub, and I count 32 spokes on the blue wheels. (36 on the blacks) Did they leave out four spokes on the blues? Also it looks like all the spokes are laced on one side. Is that correct? Is it sturdy enough?

I think your caster wobble would be solved with more trail. I have had no wobble with my 8" caster at any speed on my 3D Shadow. Believe me I've had it going plenty fast.
    The rolling darryls with nates on them (black tires) are 36 hole rims laced up to Sun 36 hole hubs. http://www.sportaid.com/sun-metal-gt...ange-hubs.html The blue set are clownshoes with lous, you counted correctly they are 32 spoke. I got the 32 hole hubs from Sun, they have made some in the past and had some in stock. They were the hard ones to find. You will have to call Sun to get them, also there is Phil Wood hubs, i inquired with them and they can build 32 hole hubs or pretty much whatever you want.

The spokes on the blues are laced up offset, to give the chair a wider footprint. The wheels are very sturdy, so far I've been using the clownshoes for a year and no problems at all.

Blog Entries
    Here's my "adventure rig", a Lasher BT-Mg, 2.25" Maxxis Holy Roller tires on Syncros rims with DT Swiss spokes and offset Rogue hubs, plus a Freewheel.

I use this mostly on local state park trails, at the beach, and while coaching youth soccer, and little league baseball. I tried using a dedicated off-road frame (made by Top End) but it was too much hassle (a big footprint when in storage, heavy to transfer, needed to fit/take 2 chairs everywhere I'd use it, etc.). Freewheel added a huge convenience bonus (by so easily popping on/off and being deployed on a everday sized chair) on top of functioning equally as well as the Top End. Probably not as rugged for "extreme use", but for my uses it's been 100% reliable for 3-5x a week for the past 7 years.

(I also use the FW on an Icon as well as another much smaller BT-Mg but it's normally with this chair since it gets filthy dirty, and I'm kinda a princess when it comes to my everyday chairs; I keep them very clean. )

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I moved to the beach about 2 years ago. I can see it from my apartment but I cant touch it. I've always wanted to go and have a frollick on it but have to pass on every visitors suggestion to do so - they inevitably just go without me (not complaining about percieved lack of caring on their part, they usually want me to go). I just cant bring myself to take them up on the offer of hauling my huge ass thru the soft sand. I have 2"thick rear wheels and I'm thinking I'll need the same for the front. But, every photo I see of a free wheel or something similar has like a 1.5 inch (may be smaller I don't know for sure) wheel. Not suitable for very soft sand. Is there something I'm missing?
    You might want to check out the overlander model by RAM wheelchairs, it looks like it might be a good set up for beach use.

http://www.ramwheelchairs.com.au/whe...tail.php?cid=7

Blog Entries
    I think we have a beach day planned for this coming Tuesday. I'll get some footage of 2.25" tires and a Freewheel working fine through sand. Don't knock it til' you try it! Only thing I can't do is push up dunes, and I do remove my casters for more clearance, but we carry 2 6'x30" rolled bamboo "tatami" mats (as a heat shield for spreading towels out on) which I roll on in those extreme situations. It's slow going no matter what, but Going to the beach is more of a "get there a sit" event, with a couple trips to and from the water (easy hard pack), anyway. Not exactly combing the deep stuff or dunes. That's a pain even when walking it! . (Not to mention, around here we have sand spurs, little spiky seed pods from a dune grass, that keep EVERYONE outta the dune and transition areas.) thankfully most of our accesses, one each block, have wooden plank walks snaking and winding over and around the dunes. At my injury and fitness level I couldn't imagine committing many thousands of dollars for the 50yds, or so, of getting to a decent sitting/FW rolling spot at the beach, and we go often (being just a few blocks away).
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Maybe I need to venture a little further north. I've found the soft sand (further from the water) at VB & OBX to be near impossible to plow through with the same rear wheel & freewheel setup... or it could be a quad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Maybe I need to venture a little further north. I've found the soft sand (further from the water) at VB & OBX to be near impossible to plow through with the same rear wheel & freewheel setup... or it could be a quad thing.
    Are you using something like the "6'x30" rolled bamboo "tatami" mats"? I remember someone going out on the beach in a power chair on some sort of mats.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    I'm pretty far north and there are lot's of places here with sugary soft sand that sucks every ounce of energy out of you. I tried the freewheel with 2.25's in sand and it was no fun, so it's not just a quad thing.

Are you using something like the "6'x30" rolled bamboo "tatami" mats"? I remember someone going out on the beach in a power chair on some sort of mats.
    I don't frequent beaches enough to bring my own sidewalk along, but those mats are good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by giles88 View Post
    I'm pretty far north and there are lot's of places here with sugary soft sand that sucks every ounce of energy out of you. I tried the freewheel with 2.25's in sand and it was no fun, so it's not just a quad thing.
    Yeah, I hear ya. Oddity and I are both in Virginia. He's just a little farther up the shore than the more touristy areas of Virginia Beach, which is my point of reference around here, along with areas further south, like the Outer Banks of NC (OBX).
    Last edited by -scott-; 06-08-2015 at 02:14 PM.