Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bladder diversion & urostomy surgery today

It is tough enough when things go right. I sure hope the problems get resolved in a hurry. I can only hope that you fare as well as I have over the long term.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I commend you for your great attitude. I would be so pissed! (Literally). My uro favours this over mitro for me ... did you have your bladder removed?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Yikes, sorry you are going thru so much! Hopefully once the incision is healed things will be better for you.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Yes majority of bladder removed. Due to hand dexterity issues I wasn't candidate for mitro. My bladder had shrunk to walnut size anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    So sorry you are having to go through all of this. Are your bowels back working as they should? Has the hydronephrosis of your kidney resolved? Did you have ureteral stents inserted as part of the surgery to keep the ureters draining while they heal properly where attached to the ileal diversion? Was an ostomy nurse consulted prior to the surgery for the ostomy placement? Are they following you now to help with appliance selection and attachment? If the ostomy nurse is a CWOCN, they should be able to help with your wound management too...in fact they may know more than a wound center about this type of wound.

(KLD)
    For the most part bowels are working again. Have had to take Miralax a couple times but typically on days where I need the pain meds (narcotics). I believe the hydronephrosis of kidney resolved itself; the surgeon wasn't too worried about it. Yup, had stents in the uteters coming out of stoma. They were removed last week since almost out anyways and made changing ostomy bag more difficult. Saw ostomy nurse in hospital; have a general visiting nurse but visiting nurse is bringing an ostomy nurse with today. The nurse at wound care center is also an ostomy nurse- I had to see her pre-op for education and stoma marking.

Finally got got a bag to stay on for 24 hours before I was soaked. Bags keep failing right next to the wound/incision. I think it's cause we have to trim bags more and lack of skin integrity. Hopefully ostomy nurse will have ideas today. Wound care center also considering a wound vac; thinking it may be easier to get is not bags to stick.

even with all the set-backs and frustrations, I can already tell I feel better than when I had my suprapubic catheter. Not tired all the time no low grade fever from the constant UTIs. I'm even drinking more water now. No regrets on having the surgery...just frustrated at the added wound issue.

Glad things are settling down for you. The wound looks nasty, but is really not that deep. I would also consider VAC as we have had good success with that in similar surgical wounds. Be sure you are eating well now (lots of protein esp.) and add a good high stress multivitamin if you are not already taking one.

(KLD)

Hope you get better real fast, and can get on with your life.

Any input from the ostomy nurse?
    ckf

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Any input from the ostomy nurse?
    ckf
    Ostomy nurse had a 2-piece bag system she left me to try. I can actually apply it even with my quad hands and it makes the stoma stick out more...my stoma tries to roll up & back so the holes for urine face upwards on my belly instead of straight out.

the bags seem to work better but still having the issue of bag failing/leaking around 24-hour mark. My skin around stoma and incision wound are turning nasty red from all the adhesive removal, even with skin prep.

I go to wound center later today so hoping they have better ideas. I'm tired of either waking up in pee soaked pajamas and sheets, or suddenly having pee soaked clothes if I'm up in wheelchair.

Keep working at it. It takes a while to get things figured out, mostly through trial and error. It is times like these that patience is a necessity.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/